We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mafia island vs pemba island

Nassau, New York
4 posts
Save Topic
mafia island vs pemba island

We are finishing up our itinerary for sept 27-oct 9 and looking for help for last 3 nights. we want to go scuba diving and also want some deluxe/luxury accomadatons since it is our honeymoon. we have switched from zanzibar to mafia island….currently at butiame beach lodging but wonder if pemba will be more luxurious but still have good snorkeling and scuba? and if so how much a price increase? any help is greatly appreciated as we want to wrap it up! thank you

christina

South Riding VA
Level Contributor
623 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mafia island vs pemba island

I don't have an answer to your dilemma, just an observation. Aren't you cutting it a bit too close to be considering diving the last three days of your trip? I'm assuming you are flying back to NY afterwards. I know as a fellow diver it is sometimes difficult to fit a dive in. If I'm reading your itinerary correctly, I might stay with snorkeling.

chris

nyc
Level Contributor
14,918 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: mafia island vs pemba island

Fundu Lagoon, the only so-called luxe property, on Pemba has air conditioning; most other properties here are guest houses.

Mafia Lodge on Mafia has a/c; while there are more choices of where to stay even if no a/c.

But most all do have ceiling fans if you find those sufficient.

Both islands are known for their scuba, so if seeking this and (other water activities) at a hotel/resort in the luxe category, I'd seriously reconsider Zanzibar (towards north of the island - Mnemba atoll) with many more choices and these do have a/c.

Unlike the mainland for safari where temps are comfy, the coast is tropical - hot/humid.

Transport for Pemba, consists of a flight from DAR to ZNZ, here a layover before connecting flight to Pemba; same going the other direction when departing. Transport for Mafia should be flight from DAR to MAF (no connection).

And as comment from poster above, I sure wouldn't be diving the last day (Oct 2) prior your homebound flight.

Nassau, New York
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: mafia island vs pemba island

we plan to dive the first and second day…need 24 hours lee time prior to flying and we don't fly till 9 pm on the 4th day so will have about 30 hours.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: mafia island vs pemba island

I've been to Fundu and a few of the lodges on Mafia. Generally Fundu is more luxurious than the lodges in the marine park on Mafia (this is where you would want to be if the purpose of your stay is diving/snorkelling). However bear in mind that all of these lodges favour a very barefoot style of luxury- you're paying for being in a beautiful remote place, not gold taps and pillow menus. If you love that type of luxury, you'll love Fundu. July is not the best time of year for visibility, but you should still get some good diving/snorkelling in either place.

Alexandra Matts- Travel Director- Extraordinary Africa

nyc
Level Contributor
14,918 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: mafia island vs pemba island

Alex - Unless they moved the lodge, Fundu is on Pemba not Mafia.

Often difficult to keep up with what's where! :-)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: mafia island vs pemba island

Ha, Sandi quite right, I must learn to phrase my responses better! What I meant was I have been to Fundu (on Pemba) and I have also been to the lodges in the Mafia Marine Park (which I think is the only place on Mafia to consider if diving is a priority). Apologies for any confusion caused!

Alexandra Matts- Travel Director- Extraordinary Africa

7. Re: mafia island vs pemba island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2016, 01:15
Get answers to your questions about Pemba Island