We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkelling in pemba

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
snorkelling in pemba

my daughter has read about how great the diving is off pemba. my husband and I will only be snorkelling. What is the snorkelling like? can you snorkel straight off the beach to a reef? where would you stay for the best snorkelling? How does snorkelling on Pemba compare to Zanzibar/

thank

leni

3 replies to this topic
Nately Scures...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkelling in pemba

For me my choice is Zanzibar , Pemba now it's not ouristic island so I think you know when I say that , but if you will do it in Zanzibar try to organise it between Matemwe and Mnemba Island .. I have snorkelled twice and dived 5 times with Zanzibar Dhow Safaris in Matemwe and Stone Town , the coral reefs and fishes are colourful , actual the place is pretty awesome !!!! , it give people a peace of mind .

Edited: 11 August 2014, 19:21
Tanzania
Level Contributor
516 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snorkelling in pemba

If you are looking for something that is not touristy and very quiet, off the beaten track and peaceful then I would suggest Pemba. There is less accommodation to choose from on Pemba and can be a more expensive desitination as it is an additional flight from Zanzibar to Pemba and the accommodation which is of good standards is a bit more expensive.

BUT I would have a look at Fundu Lagoon which is fantastic and I have stayed before as you can then go diving and snorkeling to Msali Island which is really quite fantastic.

If you decided to stay in Zanzibar then snorkeling and diving at Mnemba atoll is really the best option.

Kent
Level Contributor
485 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: snorkelling in pemba

Further to the above, also look at Manta Resort.

zanzibar.co.uk/en/…the-manta-resort

Manta is better priced than Fundu Lagoon (although personally I love Fundu) and you can snorkel directly from the resort. As previous posts, Pemba Island is far quieter than Zanzibar, fewer tourists and fewer local people. The reefs are virtually untouched and offer a little more diversity than Zanzibar as Pemba Island is made of rock. I hope this helps.

Tarquin - Pure Zanzibar

Reply to: snorkelling in pemba
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pemba Island