We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming at Minnesawka

new jersey
Level Contributor
319 posts
Save Topic
Swimming at Minnesawka

Hi there! Thinking of spending two or three nights in New Paltz or the surrounding area. Is there free swimming anywhere and how many nights is reasonable? Will likely hike the park but not sure what else. Thanks!

Mohonk Preserve
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Parks, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Other Nature & Parks
Historic Huguenot Street
Historic Sites, Historic Walking Areas
6 replies to this topic
Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
8,580 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming at Minnesawka

You can swim in both lakes in the park when there are lifeguards on duty.

new jersey
Level Contributor
319 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming at Minnesawka

Thanks! Is it a lake and how do you find lifeguard hours? Is there a "beach" as well? How hot has it been there as I am liooking at Airbnb without air.

Thanks!

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
8,580 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming at Minnesawka

You would need to call the park. Find that info on the park website.

There is a small "beach" on Lake Minnewaska; not sure about Awosting.

I do not live in New Paltz; I live a couple hours away. It has been hot but typical for July (mid to high 80's).

14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming at Minnesawka

There is a very small, crowded, roped off area at both lakes at Minnewaska Park where swimming is open. However, it is not a recommendable swimming experience as it is crowded and cramped. If it were up to me, the whole lake would be open, just as it was before 1983.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
13,624 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming at Minnesawka

Our temps have been in the 90s - not sure how much cooler you would be - but not much I would never consider renting anyplace without full AC - since you can get 85 or you can get 98 and humid.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming at Minnesawka

Wear water shoes if you want to go swimming. The beach and entry area are very rocky. I learned the hard way!

Reply to: Swimming at Minnesawka
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about New Paltz