We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 day trip to Niagara Falls from Manhattan

Essex, England
Level Contributor
33 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
3 day trip to Niagara Falls from Manhattan

I am planning a trip up to Niagara Falls in May as a kind of side trip to a week in NYC. My plan, as it stands, is to drive up to Ithaca on day 1 as I'm told the Finger Lakes region is beautiful and besides it would be nice to break the drive up a little. The next morning I was thinking an early start and then 'do' Niagara Falls in a day (we're only really interested in the Maid of the Mist, possibly the Behind the Falls walk). On the day 3 another early start, maybe a walk over the bridge to the Canadian side for a couple of hours and then drive back to Manhattan. Is this way too ambitious?!? We obviously want to cram as much as we can in to a short space of time, but it is a holiday so is this too much pressure to rush around to get it all done to be enjoyable?

Any tips and suggestions gratefully received!

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,996 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 day trip to Niagara Falls from Manhattan

Hi Mistress_Yorkie;

Yes, your plan is quite feasible.

Regarding day 2...Journey Behind the Falls is located on the Canadian side.

Best Regards

London, United...
Level Contributor
623 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 day trip to Niagara Falls from Manhattan

Your plan sounds do-able if you meant cave of the winds and not Journey behind the falls. As Rescue team pointed out, journey behind the falls is on the Canadian side. Even then I guess it should be doable if you reach the park about 9 in the morning. If you are travelling after we switch to DST, you can do it very easily as we'll have sunlight longer in the evenings.

Niagara Falls, New...
Level Contributor
180 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 day trip to Niagara Falls from Manhattan

Hi Mistress,

You plan is certainly do-able. The Finger Lakes region is about 2 1/2 hours from Niagara Falls. You will definitely want to check out the Maid of the Mist and Cave of the Winds. There are some other fun things for you to do in the area too on your third day, like Old Fort Niagara and the Erie Canal.

Check out these for more info/ideas:

www.niagara-usa.com

http://www.niagarafallsstatepark.com

http://oldfortniagara.org

~Niagara Tourism and Convention Corp.

Official Tourist Information for Niagara USA

4. Re: 3 day trip to Niagara Falls from Manhattan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2010, 14:17