We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To go OR not to go?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
21 posts
To go OR not to go?

Hi everyone

I'm contemplating whether i should visit the Niagara Falls in April during my New York trip. The weather & availability of the attractions affect my decision.

Would any of these attractions be available/open in April?

Cave of the Winds (US)

Maid of the Mist (US & Canada)

Journey Behind the Falls (Canada)

I have a US visitor visa & don't have a Canadian visa, can i assume that i wouldn't be able to go to "Journey behind the Falls", as it is located in Canada?

Any inputs is greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance, cheers!

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
10,176 posts
48 reviews
1. Re: To go OR not to go?

Maid of the Mist and Cave of the Winds are totally dependant on when the ice in the river melts in the spring. This can be anytime from early April to mid May, be is usually around the end of April so, depending on your timing, you might be in luck. Unfortunately, the opening dates aren't usually announced until a couple of weeks beforehand.

Journey Behind the Falls is open year round so that is no problem and, if you are travelling with an Australian passport, you don't need a visa to enter Canada. http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/visit/visas.asp

Melbourne
Level Contributor
21 posts
2. Re: To go OR not to go?

hi Fallsdude

Where can i check (online) to find out the opening dates for Maid of the Mist, & Cave of the winds? They are both in USA right?

I don't hold an Australian passport unfortunately. Otherwise i would've gone.

With Journey Behind the Falls located in Canada, & unknown opening dates for the other 2 attractions , I might just give it a miss this time :(

I was so looking forward to it though. I'll be in New York from 18-24 April

By the way, how cold is it in April there?

cheers

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
10,176 posts
48 reviews
3. Re: To go OR not to go?

The dates will be posted on their sites:

http://www.maidofthemist.com/en/

niagarafallsstatepark.com/Activities_CaveOfT…

Temperatures typically will be around 50-55ºF (10-13ºC) in the day and 35ºF(2ºC) at night

What passport do you have?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
21 posts
4. Re: To go OR not to go?

I hold an Indonesian one.

Did i get the locations correctly? Ie. Journey Behind the falls is located in Canada, Cave of the winds in USA?

Many thanks

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
10,176 posts
48 reviews
5. Re: To go OR not to go?

Yes, your statement is correct.

Niagara Falls, NY
Level Contributor
495 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: To go OR not to go?

And Maid of the Mist is accessible from both countries. Opening day was April 23 in 2009, so you might get lucky. But, as stated above, it won't be posted until about 7-10 days before.

7. Re: To go OR not to go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2010, 12:19
Get answers to your questions about Niagara Falls