We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Polar Express is simply awful...

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,457 posts
25 reviews
Polar Express is simply awful...

Please don't waste your money.

We love Saratoga and the scenic railroad, but the company operating the Polar Express only spent money on marketing.

It was actually detrimental to our family's holiday experience.

I am aware that other cities have fabulous Polar Express trains, under separate management.

I hate to be so negative, but there was little to celebrate.

Spend your money elsewhere.

NY
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Polar Express is simply awful...

wow....my family went last weekend and we just loved it!! It was the first time for my son riding a train...he was so excited to see the Polar characters come to life.

We will definately go back again next year!!

Westchester County
Level Contributor
653 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Polar Express is simply awful...

What happened to make the experience so awful? This is the first time you ever said something so negative on this forum so it must have been bad! Please share.

Edited: 29 November 2011, 02:36
Saratoga Springs...
1 post
1 review
3. Re: Polar Express is simply awful...

We took the train-lower dome from Saratoga to the "North Pole" last night and could not have been more disappointed. It was VERY crowded which you would expect but it was also unorganized and confusing just to get onto the train. Once on, a conductor comes around and punches the kids tickets sort of haphazardly. Then the hot chocolate comes out, warm water with a little chocolate powder in it-undrinkable. And the "Elf" literally came around with a plastic bag of marshmallows, she stuck her hand in the bag and threw it on top of Anna's hot chocolate- really appetizing and so very special! The cookies were clearly store bought and absolutely awful. The elves don't sing or do any dances they just run up and down the aisles ringing bells, smiling, and trying to come up with decent answers to the children's questions. And Santa is a total disaster!! He walks down the aisle with some lame ho-hoing tells the kids to be good this year, gives them a bell and then leaves. His beard fell off repeatedly and his real hair stuck out everywhere. This robbed my gals of any possibility of a real Santa!! The set design at the North Pole was basic and boring and over in a flash!! 4 people....$200 watery chocolate, lame cookies, no entertainment at all, and a bell! Ar you kidding? Don't go. You are wasting your money!!! This Polar Express ride had sooo much potential they missed the boat completely! Major waste of money and very disappointed!!!!!

Westchester County
Level Contributor
653 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Polar Express is simply awful...

I am so disappointed. The website made it seem so special. Thanks for posting.

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,457 posts
25 reviews
5. Re: Polar Express is simply awful...

Hi BBMom-

Yes- it is very disappointing.

The website/marketing is very different from the actual event.

I have photos if you want to private message me.

I haven't responded until now because the company seemed to be responsive initially to our feedback, but we haven't heard from them in a few days.

There was a fill-in Santa and cast the night we went, but that isn't my whole complaint. The entire experience really was disappointing.

I felt initially that we had been scammed- it was that bad!

Now the company seems like it is trying to be responsive to some criticism... we'll see. My recommendation is to go to Utica or Vermont instead for the Polar Express.

jkelly

Fort Ann, New York
1 post
6. Re: Polar Express is simply awful...

I wish I had read your posting before we went. I have to totally agreed. It was a very disturbing unorganized experience. We were to start delayed 30 mins. So we basically hurried to get there because of the parking then had to wait in a crowded confined area with a 5 & 3 year old. Once on the train, most of the Polar Express characters were physically disturbing. The "bakers" were the only ones that looked and acted child friendly. The conductor, elves, Santa were scarey. But by far the most disturbing characters were the hobos. Why would you put such horrible characters on a train with children. The one hobo looked and acted like he was high on drugs. Santa was physcially falling apart. With all the money we paid for tickets one would think they could purchase an authentic appealing Santa costume. His elf acted and danced like a street walker.Once Santa came through there was nothing else. The concept of the Polar Express is as beautiful as the story. However, the company has some real issues to make this story come true.As we were finally getting off the train I felt sorry for the families that were waiting for the 8 oclock train. They had no idea what they were in for.

Clifton Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Lake George, Lake George
Level Contributor
2,213 posts
430 reviews
7. Re: Polar Express is simply awful...

Thanks for the comments. I was going to have my nephews go when they come up next. Sorry your experiences were bad and thanks for saving me the hassle and wasting money.

Pattersonville, New...
1 post
8. Re: Polar Express is simply awful...

We went on Friday Dec 2nd. I have mixed feelings...I refused to let anything ruin our time and we made the most of it. First a lady can and told us the PA system wasn't working (which I think ended up working to our advantage) We could still hear the christmas carols and some of the story. A big difference is my son is 2 1/2 so it was easy to get away with some things. The one thing that I can say I was disappointed with was..I made such a big deal about it being the REAL Santa and this one kinda sucked. He looked like a dishevled mess. My son believed he saw the real Santa and that we went to the North Pole which is all i wanted. For kids a little older it would definately take some convincing. All in all its a great idea and I am sure we will go again next year.

Lake George, New...
1 post
9. Re: Polar Express is simply awful...

Save your money!!!!! I was very disappointed! The best part about the Polar Express in Saratoga was getting off he train.

Saratoga Springs...
2 posts
10. Re: Polar Express is simply awful...

We went Dec. 5 and paid $200 and it was a BIG disappointment!! The upper dome was to have scenery and you could not see a thing. The hot choc. was cold and no marshmellows. The bakery people were clumsy and spilled hot choc. on guests. We spent all that money for a mug, a bell and two seconds with Santa.