We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress code for races

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Dress code for races

I'm going to be Saratoga Springs when the races are on (one of the weekdays) so I thought I might get tickets for the grounds or grandstand on one of the days I'm there. As I'm going to be travelling from six weeks from Australia I won't be able to bring what I would normally where to the races here i.e. high heels, hats etc and unsure if that would be appropriate anyway. How dressed up do people normally go?

Mentioned in this post
fla.
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dress code for races

if you're planning on being in the grandstand, there is virtually NO dress code any more. you will see shorts, cut offs, halter tops, sandals, flip flops etc. etc. some people dress moderately casually.In fairness, it could be 90 degrees and virtually everywhere you roam, you're outdoors. Enjoy !

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dress code for races

That's very helpful, thank you.

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,425 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dress code for races

I agree with deejay- the dress has gotten very relaxed for the most part. Of course, if you want to get dressed up, you won't won't be the only one! Here is the 2016 dress code from the NYRA website:

Attention Fans: Please take note of Saratoga's new and more fan-friendly dress code.

Paddock Saddling Area & Winner's Circle

No shorts or abbreviated wear permitted.

Gentlemen – collared shirts required.

Box Seat Area

No shorts or jeans permitted.

Gentlemen – suits or sports jackets required.

Turf Terrace

Neat Casual Attire

No jeans, shorts or abbreviated wear permitted.

Gentlemen – collared shirts required.

Management reserves the right to use its discretion to determine Neat Casual Attire.

At the Rail Pavilion, The Porch, Club Terrace & Carousel Restaurant

Gentlemen – No Tank Tops

No short-shorts, cut-offs or abbreviated wear permitted.

Proper attire at management’s discretion.

Luxury Suites

No abbreviated wear permitted.

Gentlemen - No tank tops

Proper attire at management’s discretion.

Clubhouse

No short shorts, cut-offs or abbreviated wear permitted. No tank tops.

Proper attire at management’s discretion

Grandstand

Shirts and shoes required.

People 12 years and over must abide by the dress code.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
17,436 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dress code for races

People will wear anything - the only rules are for the paddock and winner's circle and presumably you don;t have any horses running so it really doesn;t matter.

Typically dresses.heels would NOT be worn to the races unless you are an owner/trainer - you'll see mostly jeans, shorts and tees.

Be aware that it can be very hot and humid there - up to 100 and very humid and obviously you are outside most of the time since the original stands were from the 1880s. Be sure to stay well hydrated.

If interested there is a great Horse Racing Museum near the track.

5. Re: Dress code for races

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2017, 14:17