We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

saratoga Springs or Lake George

franklin lakes, nj
Level Contributor
390 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
saratoga Springs or Lake George

My husband and I have never been to either place. We are from NJ. Our son will be playing an away football game at Castleton University in Vermont. There doesn't seem to be anything around that area, so we were thinking of staying in either Saratoga Springs or Lake George for 2 - 3 days mid September

We enjoy outdoor activities: hiking, kayaking, visiting historical spots and tours, crafts, shopping,

Any recommendations for activities, restaurants and where to stay. Are there other places to stay aside from the Sagamore?

TIA

Edited: 03 July 2016, 10:35
Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
9,991 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: saratoga Springs or Lake George

I recommend Saratoga Springs; much more of a refined, adult atmosphere compared to Lake George village.

Plenty of shopping and nice lodging and dining options in Saratoga. Saratoga Spa State Park offers a variety of activities and Yaddo Gardens and Congress Park are pleasant spots to walk around.

Saratoga Battlefield is a national historic park and a great place to check out:

https://www.nps.gov/sara/index.htm

There is great hiking and kayaking along Lake George; you could look at Bolton Landing as an alternative to Lake George village.

Edited: 03 July 2016, 22:08
Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Cape May, Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
2,789 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: saratoga Springs or Lake George

Not sure what weekend you are going there but the AdirondackNationals are the weekend of September 8-11 in Lake George.

Thousands of automotive enthusiasts in the village for the weekend. Difficult to get a room.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: saratoga Springs or Lake George

I spent my youth at both locations since my family had a farm not too far away. Lake George is, in my humble opinion, the fun place between the two. I would purchase guide books on each. Then make an informed decision. Happy travels!

Level Contributor
566 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: saratoga Springs or Lake George

The Sagamore is beautiful with good restaurants, pool etc.

On the other hand Lake George Village is a family place crowded with young children, T shirt stores and souvenir shops.

Saratoga Springs has a variety of pleasures including great restaurants, parks, nearby lakes and a walkable downtown.

franklin lakes, nj
Level Contributor
390 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: saratoga Springs or Lake George

Thank you everyone. Sorry for the late reply - I did not get an email notifying me anyone responded.

We will be there September 14th - 17th. Midweek, Wed. - Sat. Leaving Saturday to see my son play football.

This is really a shoulder season. So I am not sure of available Lake activities. Several of my friends did mention the Sagamore, but I am not sure the activities would be available during this season. Seems too cold for swimming and beach activities.

We do enjoy hiking, but would not want to do that for 3 days.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
9,991 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: saratoga Springs or Lake George

There is plenty to do in the area besides hiking. Besides the diverse activities in Saratoga (shopping, checking out the battlefield site, Saratoga Spa state park, and Yaddo are a few that come to mind), Albany and the Hudson Valley region to the immediate south has noteworthy historic sites, mansions, gardens, and art venues among its offerings.

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,388 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: saratoga Springs or Lake George

Good points above. I agree that there will be plenty to keep you busy in the area. Keep in mind that you will be there the week after Labor Day, and the lake will hold its temperature quite well for the first week or two of September. It is such a large, deep lake that it takes a long while to warm up in spring and a long time to cool off in the fall. The weekend after Labor Day is my favorite weekend of the year in Lake George. No crowds. No bugs. No humidity. Go for it!

franklin lakes, nj
Level Contributor
390 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: saratoga Springs or Lake George

Thank you rjr0810 and saratogahome

Checking hotels or Bed and Breakfasts now. My dentist recommended the Boathouse - but it is booked for the weekend - we could get in Wed and Thursday night and go somewhere else for Friday night. Not sure if it is worth it to move around to different hotels in such a short period of time

It looks like the Lodges at Bluewater Manor have been updated - is anyone familiar with this place?

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,388 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: saratoga Springs or Lake George

cherrus-

I haven't stayed there, but the updates look absolutely lovely at Blue Water Manor. The grounds are gorgeous, and we frequent the restaurant there by car and by boat. (We love it there!) HTH.

franklin lakes, nj
Level Contributor
390 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: saratoga Springs or Lake George

Thanks! Saratogahome. That is great to know!