We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ilha das Esculatares

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Ilha das Esculatares

Has anyone been to this site in Pontevedra. There's not a lot of info on the web but it looks nice, good for an hour's stroll, anyway, weather permitting.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,222 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ilha das Esculatares

I am sorry, but I have to ask are you sure about the spelling?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ilha das Esculatares

Nope, but I think "Illha" is Portuguese for "island" and "Illa" is Castillian for "island" - I've seen it both ways, but in any event its an island in the river in Pontevedra that's a public park with sculptures, sounded interesting.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ilha das Esculatares

Timed out - "ilha" is Portuguese, "illa" is Galician.

Edited: 12 July 2013, 00:30
O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,222 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ilha das Esculatares

Ok now got it. To be honest I have never heard about this although it is said to be the largest museum in the open within Galicia.

www.turgalicia.es/ficha-recurso…

http://www.visit-pontevedra.com/esp/32/114/illa+das+esculturas.html

I would think that if you are into modern sculptures and artists then it could prove to be an interesting exhibit.

How they managed to build it in a nature protection zone beats me.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ilha das Esculatares

The protection zone seems like wetlands protection, tidal estuary and the like, which would bar real development but isn't inconsistent with footpaths. I've been unable to find any pictures but even the promenade on the opposite side of the river looks lovely.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,222 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ilha das Esculatares

I just Googled and it would seem there is some "nicely" painted graffiti NOT!

http://bit.ly/12IZDsu

It certainly seem to be off the tourist map.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ilha das Esculatares

The graffiti appears to be from 2008 photos; there was a major renovation in 2009, replacing rotting foot bridges, etc (article didn't mention graffiti) so hopefully it's in good condition still.

8. Re: Ilha das Esculatares

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2014, 13:18
Get answers to your questions about Pontevedra