We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tarrytown or Stamford for easiest Manhattan commute

Palatine, Illinois
Level Contributor
459 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Tarrytown or Stamford for easiest Manhattan commute

Our family of five will have to stay in the suburbs due to hotel costs and will probably drive into Manhattan for two days of sightseeing on a Sunday and Monday the week before Christmas. I am wondering which area offers the easiest drive. My assumption is that driving and parking are cheaper than rail tickets for our large group. Any thoughts?

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
5,927 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tarrytown or Stamford for easiest Manhattan commute

check out some hotel rates in NYC see what you can get, maybe there are some great specials. Hotels in this area may be expensive. There are many Marriotts Courtyard and Springfield Suites. Metro North into the city has gone up up up. Parking in NYC in the lots is high like 25.00-35.00/ Mot a bad drive, maybe traffic but you know traffic. Add all this up and it may be better to stay in Mahattan. Westerchester is great. metro North is quick and easy.

Palatine, Illinois
Level Contributor
459 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tarrytown or Stamford for easiest Manhattan commute

I'm now considering Jersy City. At least the mass transit into Manhattan is only $2 pp each way. $200/nt seems the best I can do with everyone crammed into one room. I know there's nothing big enough in Manhattan for us - probably fire code violation, besides. Thanks for your comments.

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
5,927 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tarrytown or Stamford for easiest Manhattan commute

Look around you can do better, Why stay in Jersey it is far away and not much to do, why come into NYC and stay there. Try hotels.com. Nothing to those who live in Jersey City

Edited: 09 December 2011, 03:42
4. Re: Tarrytown or Stamford for easiest Manhattan commute

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2015, 21:15
Get answers to your questions about Westchester County