We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vist both Bryson City and Gatlinburg in two days

Bolingbrook...
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Vist both Bryson City and Gatlinburg in two days

I have 2.5 days (3 nights) in which I want experience both Bryson and Gatlinburg areas if Smokies. Is that reasonable to do? I am arriving from Chicago to Gatlinburg, need to leave on that side to back home. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
7 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
17,144 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vist both Bryson City and Gatlinburg in two days

When do you plan to make this trip? That can make a big difference on traffic. Normally its only about 1.5 hours drive to Bryson City without scenic stops. The drive along 441 thru the smokies has lots of view / photo ops along the way. If coming say 4th of July weekend or mid October during leaf season traffic will be very crowded and probably double that drive time each way.

There is a Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Tennessee forum you might want to look at and the Gatlinburg forum. There are lots of itineraries already posted on those forums for those areas. You can click on the Things to Do tab on this and any cities forum to see what there is to do in the area, hotels tab and restaurants tab give you info on those.

Mentioned in this post
Bryson City
Bryson City
North Carolina Mountains, NC
Tennessee
Tennessee
United States
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Bolingbrook...
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vist both Bryson City and Gatlinburg in two days

Thank you for the advice. I will check the links as well.

I am planning for the July 5,6,7.

Do you think I should stay one night at Bryson, so that I can avoid round trip on same day.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
17,144 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vist both Bryson City and Gatlinburg in two days

Is there a reason you want to go to Bryson City? Its a small scenic town but a long drive unless you want to do something specific there. There will probably heavy traffic and crowds in the park but not near as bad as the actual 4th. Many people only had the 4 days or have to get back to work however others may have taken the entire week to visit the area. If there are enough things you want to do in the Bryson City area then you might want to do an overnight. Where are you traveling from? Maybe first night Bryson City and last 2 in Gatlinburg?

Mentioned in this post
Bryson City
Bryson City
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Bolingbrook...
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vist both Bryson City and Gatlinburg in two days

Thanks for advice.

I see Riverrafting, Trainride, Horseback ride available at Bryson, not at Gattlinburg. I think I will take your advice of staying a night at Bryson and couple at Gatlinburg.

Mentioned in this post
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
17,144 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vist both Bryson City and Gatlinburg in two days

There is horseback riding in Gatlinburg. One place is at Cades Cove and another is Sugarlands Stables. I have only ridden at Smokemont and thats a narrow mountain trail. Cades Cove is easy trails. I think Sugarlands is easy too. Check the Gatlinburg forum as it was discussed recently.

There is rafting over in Natahala and tubing near Asheville and Deep Creek near Bryson has tubing.

Mentioned in this post
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Cades Cove
Cades Cove
4,457 Reviews
Great Smoky Mountains National Park, TN
Asheville
Asheville
Bolingbrook...
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vist both Bryson City and Gatlinburg in two days

Thanks again!

Sugar Land, Texas
Level Contributor
2,156 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vist both Bryson City and Gatlinburg in two days

I presume the train ride will take several hours. Not sure how busy the train is but advance reservations/tickets may be wise.

I did not quite understand which area you will need to leave from...Bryson City or Gatlinburg? Are you leaving from an airport that is closer to one of the towns? If flying in and out of Knoxville...Gatlinburg is about 1 hour and 15 minutes from the airport.

Bryson City would be an additional 1.5 hours.

Edited: 04 July 2017, 04:31
Mentioned in this post
Bryson City
Bryson City
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Knoxville
Knoxville
Tennessee
Reply to: Vist both Bryson City and Gatlinburg in two days