We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apple orchards/pumpkin patches

Level Contributor
16 posts
110 reviews
Apple orchards/pumpkin patches

My husband and I are taking a long weekend to enjoy the colors, flavors & smells of fall that we don't get in Florida. We have rented a cabin in Bryson City, NC. While doing some research, I found that they have a Farmer's Market each Saturday and there is a orchard called Granpa's Place 11 miles west of BC, NC. Granpa's doesn't have a website, so I've not been able to gather much info on them other than an address and phone number....any info you share is appreciated.

Does anyone have orchard suggestions that are less than an hour drive from BC, NC, or might be along our route (I-75 out to FL, to I-85 in Atlanta to 74). Assuming the parks are open, we will be spending time in the Smoky Mountain Nat. Park, but until the government shut down ends, I won't be doing more research on which parts of the park we might want to visit.

Thanks so much!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
450 posts
1. Re: Apple orchards/pumpkin patches

Mercier Orchard in Blue Ridge Ga. should be on your route on the way up. It is maybe 90 minutes from Bryson City. It is a wonderful orchard. Has a giant store to buy its products.

Level Contributor
16 posts
110 reviews
2. Re: Apple orchards/pumpkin patches

Thank you so much! I will see if that is along our route!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
450 posts
3. Re: Apple orchards/pumpkin patches

You should go right by it. When we come from Atlanta to Bryson City we go 75 to 575 then 515 to Blue Ridge. Then spur 60 to 64 in Murphy NC. Then on to Bryson City.

Edited: 03 October 2013, 07:40
Bryson City, North...
Level Contributor
15 posts
4. Re: Apple orchards/pumpkin patches

The Farmers market is on Friday mornings in Bryson City. It's Saturday mornings in Sylva.. There is a pumpkin patch at Darnell Farms in Bryson and they also have locally grown produce as does Jimmy's Product on 441/74 just a little East of Cherokee.

I live in Bryson and I will check out the Granpas and let you know. If you are coming up through Clayton Georgia you can stop at the produce market just north of there in Dillard - OsageFarms. And of course while you are here you have to check out Barber's Orchard just outside Waynesville NC - about 30 minutes east on US 74. It has apples cakes, muffins and turnovers, and apples to die for..

Even through the National Park is closed you can still drive through it and there are plenty of other things to do. Our Chamber has a special fall page called GreatSmokies.com/Fall-Smokies which has plenty of things to do.

East Tennessee
Level Contributor
780 posts
159 reviews
5. Re: Apple orchards/pumpkin patches

Concur with Mercier's (more commercial) and Barber's (more large Farmer's market). Both are very good although when visiting Barber's this past week, they have stopped baking the Apple Carmel Cookies, which were a family favorite. They did have Apple Carmel Oatmeal but very different and not as good. Both have great apples and baked goods.

Visit them both and you decide which you like the best! Both recommended.

Level Contributor
16 posts
110 reviews
6. Re: Apple orchards/pumpkin patches

Thank you all - I appreciate all of the input you have provided. Ellen - special thanks for letting me know that the Bryson City Farmer's Market is Friday...we would have been shocked to go there Saturday and it not be open!

7. Re: Apple orchards/pumpkin patches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2014, 13:20
Get answers to your questions about Bryson City