We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bryson City: Hiking with Kids

Columbia, South...
10 posts
Save Topic
Bryson City: Hiking with Kids

We will be heading up there in the end of October for a long weekend. We plan on only doing the Great Smoky Mountain Railroad one day and the rest of our time hiking around and enjoying the scenery. My husband and I both have never been to Bryson City. What hikes should we do with 2 girls (10 & 6)?

5 replies to this topic
Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
612 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bryson City: Hiking with Kids

Start at the Deep Creek Campground and hike up alongside the creek on the Deep Creek Trail. After about a mile, a trail branches off to the right and Indian Creek Falls is only about 100 yards up that trail on the left. You can do a loop using that trail and the Deep Creek trail.....look at a GSMNP trail map.

Whittier, North...
Level Contributor
46 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bryson City: Hiking with Kids

Yes the deep creek trails are great with waterfalls. Most of it is an old dirt road bed, so nice and wide. You can find a printable map at GreatSmokies.com/deepcreek . The Visitor Center in Bryson City is in the old courthouse at the main intersection - you can't miss it. They have great information there and maps. There is also a small heritage museum upstairs that you all would enjoy. About 20 minutes away in Cherokee you will find the mountain farm museum and Oconaluftee River trail at the Great Smoky Mountains National ParkSmoky Mountains National Park HQ. Mingus Mill is also a nice stop and it is just up the road from there. You might see the elk in late afternoon on the Park road just above the turnoff for the mill. You will enjoy the area - we will still have fall color.

Columbia, South...
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bryson City: Hiking with Kids

Thank you for you input! This helps a lot with my planning. Any suggestions on clothing for the late October? I want to make sure I dress my kids appropriately without having to pack their whole wardrobe;)

Whittier, North...
Level Contributor
46 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bryson City: Hiking with Kids

Best advice for clothing is layers. It will be chilly in the morning and at night but nice with sun during the day. right now we are in the high 60s - low 70s during the day. At night it is starting to be 40-50. It should be about the same through November unless we get something strange moving through. We can have cold fronts move through with frost. Just check before you come.

Columbia, South...
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bryson City: Hiking with Kids

Thank you so much, so excited for our trip!!!

Reply to: Bryson City: Hiking with Kids
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bryson City