We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fish n camping

1 post
Save Topic
Fish n camping

Looking for a great camp site, and location for trout fishing? Lake or river fishing. Canoe friendly if possible. Not interested in catch and release of any kind. Are there any limits or size regulations i need to be aware of? If so where can i get this info?

2 replies to this topic
Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,447 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fish n camping

Cherokee has a great stocking program for trout fishing on the reservation. Do a google search for "fish Cherokee facebook". They have a facebook page and website that is very good. The link to the website is on the facebook page.

In Cherokee they have about 20 miles if I recall the distance correctly of stocked trout fishing streams. They also have some ponds by the KOA campground. The ponds and most of the streams are catch and keep. They have a few miles which is fly fishing catch and release only. Cherokee requires a special permit to fish the area.

There are several campgrounds on Big Cove that are located on the streams. River Valley, KOA, Yogi in the smokies, and several other mom and pop places. All of hese are in areas of good fishing.

In the past we have fished Cherokee. With the stocking program you can catch fish in the middle of town. Most use the manufactured trout bait of live bait. A lot use artificial baits. I have had good success it rooster tails, and martin panther inline baits.

On Big Cove road there is Big Don's place. This is a bait and tackle shop which you can get your permits, bait, and good information on what is working best at the time.

Level Contributor
53 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fish n camping

be careful as to have the proper permits and licenses. If you fish the Cherokee area, Your under the reservations laws, which may vary from NC state statutes..(off reservation it could be local sheriff or wildlife commish who may ask).

usually no one(cops) bothers them. but you always hear the story of that one..

Ive seen many a biggun caught up here..

best of luck!

Reply to: Fish n camping
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cherokee