We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving Corolla on a Saturday

Monroe, New York
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Leaving Corolla on a Saturday

What time should we leave on Saturday? Is 8-9am too late to miss traffic?

Nottingham, Maryland
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving Corolla on a Saturday

We leave Friday evening after dinner. We are only losing one night of sleeping in our rental. We have always figured everyone has to check out by 10 am on Saturday, so why wait until then. Crazy traffic then. It's not like Saturday is a beach day. You have to pack and leaveanyway, which is always a bummer.

MD
Level Contributor
791 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving Corolla on a Saturday

If in season, we try to be on the road no later than 6 am. The idea is to get ahead of the crowd and north of williamsburg before hampton roads start to back up. Leaving friday night is a good idea.

Duck, North Carolina
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving Corolla on a Saturday

Or just do some sightseeing and get lunch after you check out on Saturday and leave in the afternoon....

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,860 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving Corolla on a Saturday

When I have to go up to Corolla on a Saturday, to show a home that's for sale, I have to get on rt 12 early and hope the guests left early. Most often they have, but sometimes I had to wait till 10. Since most have to leave by 10 the traffic dies down going south after 10 and by noon it is not bad at all. I have no idea what Norfolk is like but going south on rt 12 after 11am is not bad.

Reston, Virginia
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving Corolla on a Saturday

I usually leave very early on Saturday morning before 7:00 am or wait until the afternoon past 1:00 pm. Early departure encountered very little traffic passing through Duck. Mid-morning arriving last summer was backed up, so i avoid this time now.

Forest
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leaving Corolla on a Saturday

We always leave Corolla after the 10 check out and it's never a big deal. Getting there is the problem.

Amherst...
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leaving Corolla on a Saturday

I totally agree with CarlynCast. We don't leave right after dinner, but we leave around midnight or so. We aren’t going to do anything Saturday other than leave. If we didn’t have to check out until late afternoon it would be another thing. I just assume get on the road and get back home in MA by early afternoon on Saturday. Then we can get all of unpacking done and still have ½ a weekend left before we return to the grind on Monday. I just can’t imagine fighting traffic all the way home through 7 states only to have a couple of extra OBX hours in the morning. So not worth it.

Severna Park...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Leaving Corolla on a Saturday

What we do is since we are kicked out at 10:00 we put everything in our car and park in the parking lot and then get out chars and bathing suits and go to the beach again! Then we get another day of the beach and we get to completely miss traffic because everyone is leaving in the morning!! It is worth it trust me!

Severna Park...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Leaving Corolla on a Saturday

Also, my family, we always leave at 10:00 and drive down to the corrals light parking lot right I front of the beach then we pull out our bathing suits and beach stuff and hit the beach!then we get Nkther full day of the beach and leave later that evening! It is fun and there is no traffic

Ohio
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Leaving Corolla on a Saturday

We left at 6:30 AM, got right off OBX with no problem. Once we hit Norfolk towards Williamsburg on 64, it was a jammed up mess with four lanes merging into two. Don't know if this is normal or not. 460 is a better option. Speed limit is lower and there are numerous towns to drive through but at least you're moving!