We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waves

1 post
Save Topic
Waves

I've never been to the Outter Banks, so I am wondering now strong the waves are currently. I have two small children and will be in the area in a week.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
8,054 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waves

It varies day to day, depending on currents and weather activity out at sea as well as the weather locally.

If your kids are little, keep them close. The real danger at the ocean is rip currents. http://oceantoday.noaa.gov/ripcurrent/

MD
Level Contributor
791 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waves

So out of all the beaches across the majority of the Outer Banks, apart from the southern beaches below the point which face south, Corolla is the friendliest for small children. It tends to have little to no drop-off, the sandbar is out there enough so that the waves break out there and then roll in rather than crash on the beach itself as it can in Duck. That said, it's the Atlantic Ocean and it can be rough on any given day. AND, most importantly, it can change in a heart beat. So when our kids were little, we held their hands every moment in the water and were within arm's length when playing at the water's edge. Even today, with my youngest 12, I'm always within a few feet of him. The thing that boils my blood is to see parents plopped down in the chairs sunbathing while their kids are playing in the waves. I've rescued countless kids who got pulled in over their heads, when their parents are the ones who should have done that.

3. Re: Waves

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2017, 13:16