We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving visit ?

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
369 posts
Thanksgiving visit ?
Save

Hello- new to this state's forum and would appreciate some advice. We had planned to be in Central America on a diving trip at Thanksgiving which does not seem likely so I am looking for alternatives closer to home. My husband and I are middle aged but both familiar with N.C. to some degree (he went to Brevard many, many years ago and my family vacationed there many times many years ago). I am looking at the Highlands or Cashiers area, I think, but am open to ideas. The main reason for the trip would be a relaxing break from (his) work and perhaps be at the end of recuperation from surgery. We just want to relax, enjoy natural beauty, and have a restful time- any local art or craft galleries, eating out at least half of the time, a little walking or strolling (no hiking at that stage). We could fly into Asheville or anywhere- would rent a vehicle and would rent a cottage, cabin, house, with a fireplace.

My main concern is driving conditions- I know every year is different so I am asking for generalities- would it be better to fly into Asheville for a shorter drive or into Atlanta? Is there usually snow at that time of the year or not?

Any other nice small towns I should look at? We both like peaceful, low key, laid back kinds of places with local beauty and private accommodations.. No need for nightlife beyond dinner and he doesn't drink so can drive us at night.

Our local airport is Mobile, AL but we can also easily use Pensacola, FL or Biloxi-Gulfport, MS for air travel.

Thanks so very much for any help!!

Edited: 2 years ago
7 replies to this topic
North Carolina
Level Contributor
59 posts
74 reviews
45 helpful votes
1. Re: Thanksgiving visit ?
Save

Not much snow that time of year. Asheville is 90 minutes or so away, Atlanta 2.5 hours on a good day. Stay closer to Highlands, all of the good restaurants are there. Don’t stay in Sapphire, too far. Get to town as early in the week as possible, will be lots of people. You could also look at Waynesville.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
369 posts
2. Re: Thanksgiving visit ?
Save

Thank you very much. Last November the week of Veteran's Day my brother (lives in Miami) and I spent several days in the north Georgia mountains and got in early and significant snow which was beautiful but our rental cabin was several miles from town so it made the driving out to dinner a bit less fun since neither of us was used to driving on snowy mountain roads. That is why I asked about the "usual" weather or snow so I would know when I looked at rentals to pay attention to the roads and distance to restaurants, etc. You answer was very helpful !

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
3,960 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
3. Re: Thanksgiving visit ?
Save

Because of the potential for winter weather I would consider a town very near to a major road.  Perhaps Hendersonsville or Black Mountain?  Both would be a 20-30 minute mostly Interstate drive from the Asheville airport.  Both are popular destinations with restaurants, etc. Since you are coming from so far away I wouldn't want to risk even a low chance of snow in a more remote/less easy to access location which could really cause you some stress.

Edited: 2 years ago
Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
70 reviews
39 helpful votes
4. Re: Thanksgiving visit ?
Save

I still think Highlands is your best bet. Much nicer than other smaller mountain towns. And North Carolina clears snow covered roads far faster and more regularly than Georgia!

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
88 posts
89 reviews
58 helpful votes
5. Re: Thanksgiving visit ?
Save

WE too were all set to be in The Galapagos in Ecuador for Thanksgiving Into early December. Since the trip was to be our 50th Wedding Anniversary Trip we still have not come up with an alternative plan. Two adult sons will be in upstate New York and a big party is not our thing, nor is it in the cards.

I am reading with interest m the replies to and conversation about Highlands for Thanksgiving. Did you make any decisions? Since arrival early in the week is recommended I think this could be our answer. We have lived in our dream home in the mountains surrounding Asheville so a cabin in the woods wood be too much like home. A B&B might work - going to have a look now. We are Kiwis who both were born and raised in Christchurch, NZ.

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
610 posts
5 reviews
6 helpful votes
6. Re: Thanksgiving visit ?
Save

Cynthia - just my opinion - if you live in your “dream home” in Asheville I’d enjoy the holiday there :) Highlands is cute but IMO if you live somewhat local it’s much better to visit the area in summer or early fall - I wouldn’t make a special trip personally that time of year unless due to covid you *really* need a change of scene (which would be understandable!)

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
88 posts
89 reviews
58 helpful votes
7. Re: Thanksgiving visit ?
Save

Sarah

We came to the same conclusion. We have been doing day trips from home this Fall complete with our own picnic lunch and have enjoyed coming home each time. Wanderlust strikes often since March but there is no place safer and more comfortable than home with Roman the Maine Coon cat. .

Reply to: Thanksgiving visit ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Highlands
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.