We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West side of Milos Island

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
183 posts
98 reviews
West side of Milos Island

Hello

I am just booking a car for our trip to Milos in August.

The agent says you can’t access the west side of the island in a car but need a Jeep

Can anyone tell me what is on the west side of the Island? Or should I be getting a Jeep

We will do a boat trip around the island when there but wanted to look around too and have been told it’s best to hire a car

Thanks for you help

Sally

5 replies to this topic
Canton of Bern...
Level Contributor
192 posts
19 reviews
1. Re: West side of Milos Island

We hired a Jeep last June and took the southwestern road to get to the nice and almost deserted beaches in the west of the island and then back the northwestern road.

I can tell you that the drive on the very bad western roads wasn't fun, even with a Jeep. So I don't recommend it. The only advantage would be that in August the rest of the island will be quite crowded (tourist high season) but the 2 or 3 sandy western beaches will be quiet as there are no hotels or shops. In the northwestern part there is an abandoned Sulfur mining (not much to see I think) which you can also reach by Jeep. We didn't do that because it's not worth the hole drive according to my information.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
183 posts
98 reviews
2. Re: West side of Milos Island

Thank you Andy Z.

Does it take long to get to the western side?

What are the beaches there called? I’m trying to get a sense of which part is the western side?

I appreciate your help

Sally

London, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
52 reviews
3. Re: West side of Milos Island

The drive is long, 40 min at least but much longer depending on how far you go. In my opinion it's not worth the trouble, and braving the bad roads (you might have to get out of the car a couple of times to remove large rocks from the road, even with a 4x4, if you don't want to wreck the car).

There are so many more easily accessible beaches in Milos, and although August is peak time you'll definitely find less people if you go early in the morning/late in the afternoon (which are the recommended times to avoid the strong sun/sunstroke).

Canton of Bern...
Level Contributor
192 posts
19 reviews
4. Re: West side of Milos Island

mvk has it right, it's not worth the trouble.

The around the island boat trip will bring you anyway to the most famous "beach" in the west, Kleftiko.

Otherwise use Google Maps and then zoom in around the coastline where you can see the beaches with its names and also pictures of them. You can also look up the route and how long it takes from east to west. BUT the western road took us much longer than google suggested. It's just a very bad road, you can only drive slowly.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
183 posts
98 reviews
5. Re: West side of Milos Island

Oh that’s fantastic info. Thank you

I think we will just get the car.....we want to do a boat trip anyway.

I think I prefer to go all the way around the island to get the best perspective

Many thanks

Sally

Reply to: West side of Milos Island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted