We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

water conditions

Illinois
Level Contributor
21 posts
84 reviews
125 helpful votes
water conditions
Save

considering renting a house on the beach on salvo the last week in may. I understand weather conditions depend on many factors, but am concerned about waves being too dangerous for small children, the water being too cold, even pool water being too cold to make good use of the pool. Any suggestions? also, is having a fire on the beach in the evening really reasonable after having to haul firewood down, etc? the walk from the house to the beach seems a bit long. Anyone have any experience with the house Affordable dreams or comments on the agency Outer beaches? much thanks.

Edited: 3 years ago
5 replies to this topic
Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
13,906 posts
35 reviews
15 helpful votes
1. Re: water conditions
Save

May is pretty cold for swimming. It still gets cold at night and water takes a much longer time to warm up than air. Fall has much warmer water temps than spring. You can google ocean temps. NOAA has a nice listing by month.

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
121 posts
13 reviews
1 helpful vote
2. Re: water conditions
Save

Yes water will be cold!

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
17,151 posts
177 reviews
141 helpful votes
3. Re: water conditions
Save

Can't help much, but that house is beautiful! Kids will love playing in the sand if nothing else. I would think a fire on the beach would be fun and memorable for all! Worth any "trouble" of hauling firewood.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
13,906 posts
35 reviews
15 helpful votes
4. Re: water conditions
Save

I believe you have to get a permit for that fire, too.

https://www.outerbanks.com/beach-bonfires.html

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
548 posts
5. Re: water conditions
Save

If you are going in late May I would consider Frisco. Generally at that time of year the ocean side south of Cape Point will have warmer water. Here is an example image of the water temperatures at that time of year that shows the cut off https://marine.rutgers.edu/cool/sat_data/show/?file=../../regions/capehat/sst/noaa/2017/img/170527.147.1256.n18.jpg I have been to Ocracoke many times at that time of year and the water temps are in the 70s. Frisco will also be closer to the Buxton life guarded beach or the Canadian Hole area on the sound side for smaller children. OuterBeaches has always been first rate with me.

Edited: 3 years ago
Reply to: water conditions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Salvo
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.