We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting there

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
98 posts
41 reviews
31 helpful votes
Getting there
Save

How can I economically get to Cape Hatteras from Norfolk airport? Airport shuttle quoted about $350 one way - - not an option. Is it possible to do it without renting a car? I see Megabus does not go anywhere near there. Thanks!

5 replies to this topic
Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
144 posts
27 reviews
14 helpful votes
1. Re: Getting there
Save

I seem to recall that there is a car service from the Outer Banks to Norfolk airport for around $125. I'm sorry I don't have more information - try Googling it. However, you may want to rent a car as it may be nice to have transportation once you're in Salvo. Also, you're (I'm assuming) going to have to get back to Norfolk to fly home, so it may be more economical to rent a car.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
3,959 posts
138 reviews
55 helpful votes
2. Re: Getting there
Save

Google Outer Banks to Norfolk shuttle

There are several shuttles but the cost depends where the start and end places are and since Salvo is about an hour south of Kitty Hawk it adds to the cost.

Here is a site that has many listed.

http://obxonline.com/outer_banks_Airport_Transportation.php

The Connection charges $178, you might want to focus here:

http://www.calltheconnection.com/map.html

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
144 posts
27 reviews
14 helpful votes
3. Re: Getting there
Save

Yep, that's it! I knew OBX200 would know. :-). Sorry about the oops on the price.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
829 posts
357 reviews
242 helpful votes
4. Re: Getting there
Save

I would look into renting a car. Not sure if this is your first time in the OBX (or if you'll be meeting others with a car), but think it'd be tough without a car. Groceries/restaurants/attractions other than the beach won't be within easy walking distance (most likely).

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
98 posts
41 reviews
31 helpful votes
5. Re: Getting there
Save

Thanks for your responses! I didn't expect transportation from the airport would be expensive enough that I will need to make it a line item in my budget. Yipes! Car rental will be expensive too since I will be returning it in a different city - Greenville, SC. (I am actually heading to kiteboarding school so I won't need the car while I am there, but I could use it heading over to visit my folks near Greenville for a week.)

Reply to: Getting there
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Salvo
Recent Conversations
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.