We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salvo Questions

Murrysville...
Level Contributor
250 posts
38 reviews
29 helpful votes
Salvo Questions
Save

Hello everyone and thanks for lending your time, experiences, and expertise! :)

A couple of questions regarding Salvo:

A) I've read about remote hiking trails "south of Salvo", but can't locate any more info. Can anyone tell me more? Are there trail-heads leading out of the parking lot at the Salvo Day Use area just south of town? Farther south down NC-12 where we'd look for a trail-head?

B) In July, would there be any (privacy & space) benefit to driving a few miles south of town down to one of the 4x4 beach access points? It looks like there are sizable parking lots in at least 2-3 different, remote locations. That time of year, if we were to load up a beach cart and pull it out onto the beach, would we find ourselves a remote, little private spot? Too many trucks coming and going onto the beach? Too many fishermen for it to be worth the commute?

C) What shoud our expectations be for the Salvo beach in mid-July? I realize that this is a busy time of year, but I'm not sure what to expect. Growing up, the beach that time of year in Ocean City, MD wouldn't be literally towel-to-towel, but at times it was difficult to find an unoccupied spot large enough for a family of 4 to put down blankets and a beach bag. Are we talking "15-20 small family groups as far as the eye can see either way on the beach"? "A family 10 feet away on all 4 sides"? Etc

Thanks! :)

Rocky Mount, North...
Level Contributor
112 posts
25 reviews
27 helpful votes
1. Re: Salvo Questions
Save

Salvo beaches aren't crowded at all. You might find it less crowded right where you are staying.

I've never heard of those trails but there is a scattered 4WD soundside access here and there. There is a nice soundside access just past Salvo on the right. That one is paved. It used to be a NPS campground back in the day.

Murrysville...
Level Contributor
250 posts
38 reviews
29 helpful votes
2. Re: Salvo Questions
Save

Thanks, Paul! Regarding that non-paved access...any idea of that is one of the "drop your tire pressure" sand routes? Given that it's the sound side and not the beach side, any chance that a regular 4x4 with mud-trail tires could manage it? Sounds like something we'd be interested in exploring...just want to err on the side of caution with not getting stuck. :) Thanks!

Rocky Mount, North...
Level Contributor
112 posts
25 reviews
27 helpful votes
3. Re: Salvo Questions
Save

You'll need 4wd. July the sand will be all fluffy unless it's rained a lot to help pack it down.

You'll be fine as long as you air down to around 20psi and you have some ground clearance. If you don't have a lot of ground clearance don't be afraid to make your own set of tracks next to the ones that are deep. That's what I do. If you have a tach don't be afraid to go over 2k rpm. Many times in fluffy deep sand I have to go over 2.5k rpm. In other words, rev it up if you have to. Use 4low if you have to. Don't wait to use 4low after it's to late. On the ocean side the worst area is usually the dune line, once you get past that it's usually much easier.

The soundside trails are not marked. Check out this one at the Kinnakeet lifesaving station.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Avon,+NC/@35.4065516,-75.4914496,301m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x89a439b58ef8c83d:0x6465a8d35fca2fe0

NewHavenCT
4 posts
4. Re: Salvo Questions
Save

Do not know about the trails, but we were in Salvo in Aug a few years ago, and the beaches there are not crowded at all. we would go down at 10-11am every morning and had zero problems finding a good chunk of real estate that wasnt too close to anyone else. That is what we knew (and wanted) going in, Salvo is not the "happening" place in OBX, it's a slower paced, no crowd, get away. We loved it.

Haymarket, Virginia
Level Contributor
178 posts
266 reviews
184 helpful votes
5. Re: Salvo Questions
Save

Be sure to get your ORV permit online to be able to go onto the beaches in your vehicle. You need to get your online permit at least two weeks prior to your arrival. Here is the National Parks registration site:http://www.nps.gov/caha/planyourvisit/off-road-vehicle-use.htm

We love the beaches in Salvo. After experiencing the "highway beach" North of Duck, It is a pleasure to be on the quiet beaches South of Salvo. You do want to have some neighbors that will help you out should you get stuck. My son-in-law pulled several folks out of sand ditches last year.

6. Re: Salvo Questions

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
Get answers to your questions about Salvo
Recent Conversations
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.