We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sun Exposure in Salvo

Murrysville...
Level Contributor
250 posts
38 reviews
29 helpful votes
Sun Exposure in Salvo
Save

Hello everyone...thanks for your time and for lending your expertise.

Sorry to ask such an elementary question, but I've been to enough beaches to know that each can have unique dynamics with regard to wind, beach width/sand temperature, municipal regulations, etc.

We'll be on the beach at Salvo smack-dab in the middle of July, and I'm wondering what precautions we should take in terms of keeping ourselves and our elementary-aged children safe.

I know it'll be a hike up over the dunes from our house...the sand will be hot and good sandals are a must.

In terms of sun/heat, I did do a chair/umbrella/wagon rental for our stay. My experience with beach umbrellas is that they can be hit-or-miss in terms of sheltering everyone as needed.

Do folks use the half-tent-shaped "beach shelters" in Salvo? Is that permissible and/or a viable option wind-wise?

In your opinion, would an extra lay-down umbrella be permissible/wise? The curtains that people attach to their umbrellas to give the umbrella "sides"? (Which also act as wind sails, according to many product reviewers.)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated re: local norms. I'll be a happy camper if we can put in some nice mid-morning thru early afternoon days at the beach.

Thanks! :)

4 replies to this topic
Brookneal, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Lynchburg
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
106 reviews
73 helpful votes
1. Re: Sun Exposure in Salvo
Save

If Rodanthe/Waves/Salvo or Dare county in general has made laws re: umbrellas and beach tents, it's news to me. (Myrtle Beach/Horry County SC are famous for theirs now.)

The umbrella is easy and adjustable as the sun moves.

My husband is very sun sensitive and we have a small beach tent for him that is similar to this http://images.esellerpro.com/2683/I/139/2/LS-025%20y.jpg

only it has some mesh windows. It's not tall enough to get a chair in and sit in it. He lies down.

He has to point the opening of the tent away from the wind or it becomes a kite. It comes with tie downs.

It works for him but it would not work for me.

I'm happy sitting in my chair with my wide brimmed hat and spray sunscreen.

With elementary aged kids, they are not likely to be happy sitting under the shade for long.

I never wanted to sit still at that age, neither did my kids. :)

Consider buying rash guard shirts with SPF that they can wear.

Many are rated 50 SPF and they will also protect them from shell gravel when boogie boarding.

Most of the awesome surfers wear gear like this and that helps with the "cool factor" if you have a fashionista in your family who objects to a shirt at the beach.

I'd also apply waterproof spray sunscreen 15 minutes before heading outside, under the shirt if my kids were really fair skinned.

Level Contributor
1,140 posts
58 reviews
21 helpful votes
2. Re: Sun Exposure in Salvo
Save

Apply the sunscreen before and during your beach time. It does wash off some in the water, so maybe after an hour put more on. I am really fair skinned and have to check the time and remember to do this. Also don't forget feet and toes! Last summer I did, and sunburn on your toes is NOT FUN.

Have a great trip!

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
22 reviews
15 helpful votes
3. Re: Sun Exposure in Salvo
Save

Also, be very cognizant of the surf which can be dicy at time anywhere but especially at the Outer Banks.

Murrysville...
Level Contributor
250 posts
38 reviews
29 helpful votes
4. Re: Sun Exposure in Salvo
Save

Thanks, everyone! :)

Reply to: Sun Exposure in Salvo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Salvo
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.