We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visiting Southern Shores, NC

Munhall...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
First time visiting Southern Shores, NC
Save

Hi everyone :) My family & I (2 kids, husband & dog), have always vacationed in Myrtle beach but this year wanted a more laid back vacation & decided on Southern Shores NC.I was hoping just to get some personal opinions on the area :) We are renting a home on Sea Oats trail which I was hoping was close to the beach but I checked google maps & it looks pretty far from where we are ::( I am considering a golf cart rental because I read they are street legal & I figured it would be nice to cruise around & check out the area but not sure if it's worth it or not & should just drive our van around?.I also was hoping to be somewhat close to the sound or any other body of water if we cant make it to the beach that day?..Sorry for all the ??'s..I am a first timer here & just very curious as to what we are all in for :) Thanks so much in advance for any info or advice :)

14 replies to this topic
Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
3,815 posts
137 reviews
54 helpful votes
1. Re: First time visiting Southern Shores, NC
Save

First be sure you get a street legal golf cart, not all are street legal. Then check for parking, it will be limited. Southern Shores will be loads different and more laid back than what you are use to. But then anyplace here will be lots different than Myrtle!!! You won't be able to walk to many places from Sea Oats so the car will be needed to do most things other than hang around the house and maybe walk to the beach.

Munhall...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
2. Re: First time visiting Southern Shores, NC
Save

Thank you so much for the advice :) I believe we are being provided oceanfront parking passes for the beach so I am hoping we can maybe pile up our golf cart & park there? I found a place called "OBX beach buggies" so, I will make sure to ask for a "street legal cart" :) Thanks again for your help :)

Southern Shores...
Level Contributor
492 posts
16 reviews
4 helpful votes
3. Re: First time visiting Southern Shores, NC
Save

The bathing beach on the Sound is located on North Dogwood Trail. Depending where you are on Sea Oats, you would take Hickory to East Dogwood, or just take Sea Oats to East Dogwood. Then turn right at the sign. The bathing beach (plus playground) is on the left just past the center island.

Since you have passes for the oceanfront parking, I would not bother with a golf cart. It will probably just be easier to take your van so you can haul all your stuff to the beach. As OBX200 said, you will have to drive to get to Duck or Kitty Hawk for shopping or dining anyway. It would take forever in a golf cart!

Munhall...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
4. Re: First time visiting Southern Shores, NC
Save

OBXmaslin, thank you SO much for this!!! I did read about the bathing beach but wasnt sure what route to take to get there!..We are at 238 sea oats..My son has also been asking me if there will be a basketball court there which I think I read there is at the playground so this will be great for all of us :) I think I read there are 2 private beach access' to go to..either dogwood or hillcrest?..so I hope to find out which is the quicker route once we get there :) you can only see so much from google maps..lol.. I think your right about the golf cart!! You just helped me make up my mind! I kept thinking that it may be a waste so I think we'll stick with our van :) Thank you again SO much :)

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
360 reviews
116 helpful votes
5. Re: First time visiting Southern Shores, NC
Save

Agree with previous posters.... Southern Shores has a great location central to the OBX.... you can get to the restaurants and shops of either Nags Head or of Duck.....

Have a great vacation....

www.obxtravels.blogspot.com

A few photos and notes about the area....

Southern Shores...
Level Contributor
492 posts
16 reviews
4 helpful votes
6. Re: First time visiting Southern Shores, NC
Save

You are welcome! Both accesses are just a couple minutes away by car, and Hillcrest has a huge parking lot whereas Dogwood Trail's is just some street parking I think. Depending on your location, the Dogwood access could be within walking distance. Just don't forget that parking pass! They are serious about enforcement.

I am not sure about basketball at the bathing beach. It is kind of grass, gravel and sand with no pavement to speak of. You might want to ask your rental company where it is. There is an elementary school at the corner of South Dogwood and 158, which is a few miles away, so maybe that's where it would be.

Munhall...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
7. Re: First time visiting Southern Shores, NC
Save

OBXmaslin, your the best!! I cant thank you enough for all of your input :) I am really looking forward to our first OBX experience :)

Munhall...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
8. Re: First time visiting Southern Shores, NC
Save

Thank you GinnyM :) I am going to check out that website now :)

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
443 posts
59 reviews
90 helpful votes
9. Re: First time visiting Southern Shores, NC
Save

Bikes are also an option. I grew up with a house in Southern Shores and biking on dogwood trail is wonderful and shady, easy ride to the beach except one small hill from sea oats.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
3 helpful votes
10. Re: First time visiting Southern Shores, NC
Save

We rented in SS last year and we're going again this year as well. If you have sound and beach parking passes, I wouldn't bother with a golf cart. Just drive over in your car. SS doesn't really have much in the way of shopping or dining that is close so you're going to need to drive your car or it would take you forever to get around. As a previous poster said, bikes are another option.

Reply to: First time visiting Southern Shores, NC
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Southern Shores
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.