We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel advice to Southern Shores/Duck on Friday, 7/3.

Orlando, FL, USA
3 posts
Travel advice to Southern Shores/Duck on Friday, 7/3.
Save

Hello! We are traveling from Columbia, SC to Southern Shores (Duck area) on Friday, 7/3. We were planning to leave at 9:00AM. What is the best timing and route? Google maps says I-95 to Rocky Mount and east on 64. It looks like the other two alternatives would be:

Upper: pick up 17 through Elizabeth City/Maple and down 158.

Lower: I-795 to Greenville and pick up 264.

I haven't given much thought to the ferry from Cedar Island to Ocracoke, and then driving up the coast. Any thoughts? I may not be able to get reservations this late.

I am used to traveling to our beautiful SC coast. There are parts of the Grand Strand (Myrtle Beach area) where you can be in traffic an additional three to four hours on a July 4th weekend. I am thinking the Outer Banks could be the same. We are traveling with older children and three grand children in car seats (two cars).

Any advice would be most appreciated. Thank you!

3 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
1,140 posts
58 reviews
21 helpful votes
1. Re: Travel advice to Southern Shores/Duck on Friday, 7/3.
Save

East on route 64 in NC will be least traffic. You will come across Roanoke Island then over to Nags head, then you can head north on 12. Once you cross the sound to Roanoke Island there is a lovely visitor center on the right that would make a nice stop before the final leg of your trip.

The Wright Memorial Bridge is 158 and that is the one famous for Saturday traffic jams.

You should not have as much traffic coming in on Friday.Have fun!

Level Contributor
1,140 posts
58 reviews
21 helpful votes
2. Re: Travel advice to Southern Shores/Duck on Friday, 7/3.
Save

I couldn't edit my post. 264 is more meandering and goes by the wild life refuges. Pretty drive but definitely long stretches without stores or gas stations. Stopping by Bath NC might be nice, historic town.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
3,815 posts
137 reviews
54 helpful votes
3. Re: Travel advice to Southern Shores/Duck on Friday, 7/3.
Save

Coming Friday won't be any problem at any time of day. Avoid Eliz City and do the I95 to 64 east. 264 is a pretty ride and I do it on my motorcycle sometimes, but it takes longer.

Reply to: Travel advice to Southern Shores/Duck on Friday, 7/3.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Southern Shores
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.