We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

surf or sound realty

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
surf or sound realty
Save

Does anyone have any recent experience with Surf or Sound Realty. I am interested in renting one of their vacation homes but I want to make sure they are reliable and that the photos on their web site are accurate. Thanks.

4 replies to this topic
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
12 helpful votes
1. Re: surf or sound realty
Save

I debated writing this review, but feel compelled to share my experience. Surf and sound has some beautiful homes, however I was incredibly disappointed. For the record, my family has been going to Hatteras island for over 40 years, we typically select the homes we rent with a great deal of care and we select homes with high end appliances, elevator, private pool etc., my point being we don't rent a shack. I read many negative reviews, but I thought hey that must be ok, they have been in business for a while and have what appears to be many nice homes. I was incredibly disappointed.

1. Staff was rude. We were there the week that there were unfortunately several shark attacks, when we checked in we asked if there were any special considerations or notices for people coming into the area to be aware of the rep responded "well there are sharks in the ocean, you can get bit"

2. Despite being a beautiful house in the pictures the carpets were stained, screens were absent from the 3 season porch( a door with no screen) stereo features didn't work, towel bars were down. I called for maintenance but no one even responded to fix it. The house was semi oceanfront, which I have been closer to the ocean in ocean side houses. You could not hear or see the ocean at all

3. The icing on the cake was my father getting bit by a snake.....yes a snake while he was sleeping by the pool on a lounge chair. Ok, I get it is wildlife, the rental can't control wildlife but they can control their response. I had to call and get a bit escalated before they got someone over there to remove the 4 ft long snake from the pool area. They took the snake but assurred me the snake would be retained until my father was released from the hospital ( the purpose was to verify it was non venomous ). Fortunately, my dad was ok, but when I called 5 hours later to state the could release it as they had verified the type from a photo we took, they had already released it hours earlier and I was told only a few doors down. Clearly no regard for my dad. I expected someone would call me the next day, nothing.....

I voiced my issues in a review to their cs manager a week later, she seemed to care, just it was too late. I wasn't going to post this but it has been 2 months and I am still really upset about our experience.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
3,815 posts
137 reviews
54 helpful votes
2. Re: surf or sound realty
Save

Just curious why you posted this in the Southern Shores section rather than Hatteras island.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
12 helpful votes
3. Re: surf or sound realty
Save

Sorry I missed it was southern shores. My apology if they are different companies.

Montreal
Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
5 helpful votes
4. Re: surf or sound realty
Save

We've rented from them for the last two years. No issues, got fast responses when we had something to report (broken door and BBQ - was replaced right away). My only pet peeve is their payment policy - I'm from Canada and can't use a bank wire to pay so I have to use my credit card. They charge me 35$ admin fee for each credit card payment. That plus the 99$ admin fee - I can't help being a being irritated when I see their website claiming "no hidden fees"...

That being said, the house we rent from them is great, and that's what's most important to us.

Reply to: surf or sound realty
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Southern Shores
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.