We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surf or Sound Realty

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Surf or Sound Realty
Save

Does anyone have any recent experience with Surf or Sound Realty? Reliable? Decent customer service? Are their photos on the web accurate? Thanks.

10 replies to this topic
Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
443 posts
59 reviews
90 helpful votes
1. Re: Surf or Sound Realty
Save

Check obxcinnection.com, they have reviews and many members use surf and sound that have good experiences.

Albany
Level Contributor
1 post
87 reviews
20 helpful votes
2. Re: Surf or Sound Realty
Save

Yes. I know this post is old but perhaps this will help others. My family and I rented the pink pearl house. This house had location but that is all. Fixtures were broken, the downstairs carpet needed to be replaced, and the refrigerator door didn't work. They did not supply hand soap, dish towels, or bath mats. We had paid for linens but these didn't arrive until our second day at the house. We paid close to 3,000 dollars for the rental. When I contacted them to voice my concerns they offered us 100 dollars. I said no thanks.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
13,157 posts
34 reviews
15 helpful votes
3. Re: Surf or Sound Realty
Save

Most beach houses don't supply hand soap, dish towels or bath mats. I would never expect that.

I would expect fixtures that weren't broken and clean carpet and a refrigerator that works!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
548 posts
4. Re: Surf or Sound Realty
Save

If you use the search feature in tripadvisor you can get some good feedback. I would not use obxconnection.com because it is basically a bunch of owners that may have their properties listed through the agency and so obviously biased.

New Kent, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia, Outer Banks
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
5. Re: Surf or Sound Realty
Save

Hey lance, I resemble that remark! Posters at obxconnection.com include obx residents, owners, and new visitors, and repeat visitors. You will get current information and honest opinions.

Disclaimer: I do own a rental house in Nags Head.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
548 posts
6. Re: Surf or Sound Realty
Save

Yeah, it is like 3 owners to one renter at the site. They also have a habit of deleting any comment that is not what they want to hear. Hence tripadvisor is a better place for real information.

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
50 posts
34 reviews
2 helpful votes
7. Re: Surf or Sound Realty
Save

We rented from Surf or Sound ONCE and ONLY ONCE! Bad experience! Customer service at check in was nasty and it went downhill from there. Everything in the house had some form of threat posted on it- to much trash left in the dumpster $100 penalty, sand in washer $80 penalty, failure to clean stove $50 penalty, sand on floor/failure to vac and mop before leaving $150 penalty (what was that cleaning fee I paid for?) on and on. House was not clean when we arrived, trash recipticles were full and stove was rusty with burner pans falling apart. Tried to talk to them about it at check out to make sure we were not charged extra, but they were not interested in taking to us. We have used a number of other agencies, all with very favorable results. I will not use Surf or Sound again.

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
50 posts
34 reviews
2 helpful votes
8. Re: Surf or Sound Realty
Save

I find it interesting that there are very few reviews posted on the rental co sites, and all comments that are posted are favorable. We had a slight issue with one of our rentals. I left a semi favorable review,but included the bad with the good. Never posted. After several weeks I rewrote it, focusing on positive and softening the negative. A month later, not posted. Third time left positive review with.vague mention of negative event. Bingo! Posted the next day,

MD
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
25 reviews
31 helpful votes
9. Re: Surf or Sound Realty
Save

Wow - I've never seen a list of penalties before. I've been renting for over 25 years. Pretty much all companies had this unrealistic expectation of having to clean and vacuum the whole house before leaving or your damage deposit would not be returned. So we'd spend hours in the wee hours after packing the car cleaning and vacuuming everything. I never understood that considering we paid $200 in the rental fee that supposedly went to the cleaning crew. That's all changed now. At least with our current agencies. No more expectation of vacuuming or cleaning. Just clean-out the frig with no food residue, but that's it. Now, we don't like to be slobs, so we still make sure to leave things nice. If we created a sandy area, we vacuum it right away. And we keep counters and bathrooms clean throughout the week. Makes checkout easy. If surf and sound is still expecting you to clean, i'd avoid them.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
158 posts
9 reviews
11 helpful votes
10. Re: Surf or Sound Realty
Save

We rented from Surf or sound for the first time this year in June. We did not have any of those warnings in our rental. I wonder if these were left by the owner. We did have an issue the first day with getting linens. The linen company's equipment apparently went Down resulting in usnot getting linens until day #2, bout no fault of realty company. This being said, everything else was in working order. Pool was in good shape. Grills were a bit dirty. I would never expect dish and dishwasher detergent or paper towels and laundry detergent. Renters are on their own there. No messages after checkout, so assume everything was left ok. We were expected to clean out refrigerator and vacuum. Other than that very good experience.

Reply to: Surf or Sound Realty
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Southern Shores
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.