We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place for a family holiday?

surrey
Level Contributor
41 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Best place for a family holiday?

Hi, I wondered where people would recommend for a family holiday (children 9 and 6) - would golden sands be the best place, or is that too noisy? We don't want somewhere that is very noisy as the children are in bed by 9ish.

Would you recommend getting a car?

thanks for any advice on Bulgaria generally as a being a good/not so good place for families to go

Mentioned in this post
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place for a family holiday?

Yes, Bulgaria is a great place for families. Sunny Beach is the main area, and Golden Sands is also a popular spot as well, but there are plenty of others as well if you are looking for something quieter. Sveti Vlas may be one option worth looking at: it's a small village immediately to the north of Sunny Beach; still 'touristy' but not to the same extent as Sunny Beach, but you're only a short walk/taxi/bus away from all that the main resort of Sunny Beach has to offer (don't believe any media nonsense you may have read or heard about SB only being an 18-30 place).

Personally I always recommend hiring a car to anyone who is willing to consider that option, you'll be able to see so much more of the country (you would just need to be aware that tow trucks operate in the main built up areas to catch out those who don't park in the correct locations).

Mentioned in this post
Sunny Beach
Sunny Beach
Burgas Province, Bulgaria
Golden Sands
Golden Sands
Varna Province, Bulgaria
Sveti Vlas
Sveti Vlas
Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
2,579 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place for a family holiday?

hi golden sands is good for children its not noiisy but still has lots to do sunny beach is much more fast pased you still have clubs in golden sands but they are not in your face its much more family if you realy want away from it all then albena but not a lot for children to do in albena

golden sands has more but not to much you wont find drunk people partying in the street the hotels dont have wild discos going on ect the young people tend to go to the clubs up in the party street but even party street is not noisy

i would not recomend a car in golden sands first you would have problems parking it then you have to look after this car when you are on holiday playing on the beach in the pool ect

varna is only 30 min away in a taxi 50 lev return you have a car you will have to find parking in varna you park wrong and your car will be taken away there are many things to do in golden sands you dont really need to leave the resort so then you have the cost of a car that you may not use much anyway

in golden sands you will not find many english people golden sands is good with children

i always go with family /children always stay on the sea front i have been to sunny beach

no one has much time for you in sunny beach in golden sands they do

if i was 18 i would go to sunny beach as i am no longer 18 i dont i go to golden sands but its what suits you but one thing golden sands and sunny beach are not the same bulgaria over all is a very nice place to go take a look on the balkan web site balkan holidays see some hotels you may like and ask about them here and see what is said i would recomend golden sands with children i would not recomend a car not in golden sands if you were away in one of the villages then maybe a car

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,355 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place for a family holiday?

If you do go to Sunny Beach then as long as you do your research you'll be able to find a nice family hotel away from any noise of a night.

Mentioned in this post
Sunny Beach
Sunny Beach
Sofia, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
19 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place for a family holiday?

Sunny Beach is no place for family vacation, I don't know why you guys even involve it. Golden sands is a quiet place, with lots of attractions for tourists. My advice is also to check out Albena, Bulgaria. It's a small complex, with guards on the entrance (which makes it very safe; no one gets in or gets out unnoticed). It has an aqua park, lots of small, cozy restaurants and nice hotels. I think it will be better destination for your family :)

Mentioned in this post
Sunny Beach
Sunny Beach
Albena
Albena
Dobrich Province, Bulgaria
Staffs
Destination Expert
for Bulgaria, Sunny Beach
Level Contributor
4,190 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place for a family holiday?

Alison. Sunny Beach is fine for a family holiday. Maybe the north side would be better for you...it is quieter and only around a 15 minutes walk to the centre.

I also like Golden Sands. I think you would enjoy either.

Best,

Paul

Mentioned in this post
Sunny Beach
Sunny Beach
Golden Sands
Golden Sands
Varna Province, Bulgaria
Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
2,579 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place for a family holiday?

sunny beach is ok for a family but its much more rush albena is also nice but its like lets not move at all golden sands is a lot less sunny beach but a lot more albena it also has a aqua park as dose sunny beach golden sands also has the guards around the entrance sunny beach dose not have this but then again the guards are a throw back to the past not realy needed now but if you are worryed about that sort of thing look at hotel riviera beach hotel nympha in golden sands they are inside a fenced complex in side golden sands with its own beach area its not for me because to come out in to golden sands you have to come out there gate then come back in to the resort right up at the top end and fore some one like me that gos out a lot its a long walk but if you are staying in the hotel it great you have your own beach pools ect no one can walk through but you are cut off from the rest of the resort but its up to you its what you like worth a look

i will say one thing all the bars i have been in in bulgaria have always been family frendly ( i mean i dont go clubbing till 2 in the morring but saying that at 14 you would get in the clubs and get served )

Europe
Level Contributor
25 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place for a family holiday?

I personally prefer not so busy resort like Sunny beach and Golden sands.

With children, better choose Albena Resort or Duni, or Obzor :)

Mentioned in this post
Sunny Beach
Sunny Beach
Albena
Albena
Obzor
Obzor
Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
2,579 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place for a family holiday?

golden sands is good for familys not to much going on but things to keep the children happy albena has less going on nice if you just want to sit by the pool and do very little

Sofia, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
145 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place for a family holiday?

Hi, I would definitely recommend Albena resort! Plenty of hotels, golden beaches and forests. Really good for kids. Avoid Golden sands and Sunny beach

Mentioned in this post
Albena
Albena
Sunny Beach
Sunny Beach
Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
2,579 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place for a family holiday?

i have been going to golden sands for many years with my children and now grandchildren golden sands is very good for familys and for children and i would recomend golden sands for familys with children

i find albena has less and the children get board

if you want to do nothing then albena is good if you want to do more then golden sands is better

the bolaro has its own water park but its a all in hotel

Get answers to your questions about Golden Sands
Recent Conversations