We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing from a boat

Cold Lake, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Fishing from a boat

We have a boat that we keep at Maple Bay. But we have never done any line/rod fishing. Could you please tell me information about that? or let me know where I can find out about fishing from a boat in waters that are not to distant from shore (We'd like to take our grandkids out)

What kind of fish can we catch? Where? What kind of bait?

I'm not talking serious salmon fishing....just a leisurely day on the water.

4 replies to this topic
Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,805 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing from a boat

You ended up on the Mill Bay Forum and your boat is in Maple Bay. It's a big subject for here. Ask around the marina. Local knowledge helps. Samsum Narrows is right around the corner but you need to know regulations and restrictions. You probably want to avoid the currents of the narrows.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,116 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing from a boat

I would think a fishing forum would be better for this question than a travel forum. There might be a couple of locals on TA who happen to know detailed info about the fishery where you are but specialized knowledge like that would be far more abundant on a forum about fishing.

Google <BC fishing forum> or something to that effect and you'll see a few options.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,936 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing from a boat

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/forum.php

The best thing you could do is hire a local guide for a few hours to show you the ropes.

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,513 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing from a boat

For sure check the link that Sam posted

There are fishing opportunities in your area but with no experience chances are quite limited you may want to look at prawning or crabbing

You would need to get licenses and a regulations book and ask DFO as there are lots of localized closures etc

Reply to: Fishing from a boat
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mill Bay
Recent Conversations