We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in muskoka

1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
First time in muskoka

Hello,

My husband and I are looking to spend 2 days and 1 night on Muskoka. I am overwhelmed with where to stay and what to do. We unfortunately dont know how to swim but would love to spend time at a beach and canoeing as well. We just want to enjoy the nature but would like to come back to nice clean place to sleep. Any suggestions. We planning with a max budget of $500 for the weekend if possible. Thanks in advance!!!

Mentioned in this post
Muskoka District
Muskoka District
Ontario, Canada
8 replies to this topic
Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Columbus
Level Contributor
807 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in muskoka

I went to a concert in Bala a couple years ago and stayed at the Howard Johnson in Gravenhurst. It wasn’t anything special, but was inexpensive and a fine place to crash for the night. I didn’t have time to do much in the area besides the concert and a visit to Sawdust City Brewery, so I can’t comment on how convenient it is to outdoor activities, though.

Mentioned in this post
Bala
Bala
Muskoka Lakes, Canada
Gravenhurst
Gravenhurst
Muskoka District, Canada
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in muskoka

Muskoka is a pretty popular and expensive destination in the summer, and usually booked very early in the season. You may be able to get a basic hotel room in one of the towns, and drive to the water, but it will likely be close to $500 for accommodation alone.

Perhaps check in on bed and breakfast opportunities, you may get a better rate, and the chance at a location close to the water.

Please be really careful if you're going out on the water. If you can't swim, wearing a life jacket could save your life; sadly many people drown enjoying the water even if they can swim!

Mentioned in this post
Muskoka District
Muskoka District
Ontario, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in muskoka

I got a hotel at Travelodge in Bracebridge for 89.25 it will be our first time staying there in oct so can't tell you how good it is

Mentioned in this post
Bracebridge
Bracebridge
Muskoka District, Canada
Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in muskoka

We are also checking this area. Are all the nearby towns equally nice in terms of dining, shopping and attractiveness?

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
24,526 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in muskoka

Port Carling, Gravenhurst and to a lesser extent Bracebridge are all very nice.

Mentioned in this post
Port Carling
Port Carling
Muskoka Lakes, Canada
Gravenhurst
Gravenhurst
Muskoka District, Canada
Parry Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in muskoka

Come just north of Muskoka to beautiful Georgian Bay and Parry Sound, ON. The town has free walking trails along the shore and free public beaches with clear blue water suitable for swimming of wadding. Check out hotel and B&B prices in the internet. Unfortunately, there are no in town motels overlooking the water. Once you are here you can buy tickets for a 3 hour cruise, visit the museum, eat at the restaurants, take in the Festival of the Sound, drive the back roads, shop for unique items, or just spend the day lazing on the sand beach. Great little town. I live there.

Mentioned in this post
Muskoka District
Muskoka District
Ontario, Canada
Parry Sound
Parry Sound
Northeastern Ontario, Canada
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
24,526 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in muskoka

lesk640's loyalty to his town is admirable, but the town itself is not very nice. The surroundings are beautiful, but the town is not..

Parry Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time in muskoka

You are right. The only thing the town has going for it is easy access to Georgian Bay, a great municipal beach with clear clean water, many hiking trails around the Bay, a 30,000 island cruise boat, a first class music/performance hall, safe streets, rocks you can swim off of, cross country ski trails in the winter, lots of canoe routes in the area, great municipal marina, big name stores, and the best municipal drinking water in the province. Terrible place!!!

Reply to: First time in muskoka
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Muskoka District