We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inshore fishing

10 posts
Save Topic
Inshore fishing

Is inshore fishing better in Punta de mita than the marina Vallarta area? I would like to book a Panga and would love to split the cost with 1- 3 others. I will be in Nuevo Vallarta Jan 11-18

Mentioned in this post
Marina Vallarta
Marina Vallarta
1,497 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Nuevo Vallarta
Nuevo Vallarta
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
9 replies to this topic
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
270 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inshore fishing

As ever the answer is 'it depends'.

Some of the best in shot fishing can be found west of the national park of the Marietta Islands towards the reef of El Morro. From Punta De Mita you are way closer to these than if you take a boat from NV. There is also some excellent fishing north of PDM through Punta Negra, Litibu and under the cliffs towards Sayulita and all of this is much easier to access from PDM.

The depends bit comes however because I also see plenty of reports of good fish taken in side the bay of banderas which would be equally as accessible from NV and I understand there are some good marks to the south of the bay which NV would be better for. So it really is down to where the fish happen to be. For me I go from PDM as I think there is more variety in terms of options and when the Sierra's are in town you can be on these in 3 minutes after leavin the harbour.

Mentioned in this post
Punta de Mita
Punta de Mita
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Litibu Grill
Litibu Grill
169 Reviews
Punta de Mita, Mexico
Sayulita
Sayulita
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inshore fishing

Question when you say you would like to split the cost witch hotel are you going and are you looking to split the cost with strangers??? I will be at the riu jalasco from january 5 to 12 you can email me at gatineau71@hotmail.com

Edited: 04 January 2018, 01:42
ormskirk
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inshore fishing

I will be staying at the Iberostar from 1st March to 7th March and would also like to find a fishing buddy for a couple of inshore trips, not so much for the cost but for the company and the relating of fishy tales etc.

And if you play golf as well that would be a real bonus!!

Ray

denver, colorado
Level Contributor
419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inshore fishing

If you want to fish near Punta De Mita area. I suggest looking at the LaCruz Marina as a good place to depart from. There are quite a few boats that leave from there. LaCruz Marina is northwest of Nuevo and Bucerias. It is just down the highway from Punta De Mita. You can take a boat towards and past Punta De Mita by the Marietta Islands where the Pacific Ocean enters the Bay of Banderas. We have gone on several great sunset sails from LaCruz Marina.

Mentioned in this post
Punta de Mita
Punta de Mita
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Bucerias
Bucerias
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Bay of Banderas
Bay of Banderas
575 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
denver, colorado
Level Contributor
419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inshore fishing

LaCruz Marina is about 20 minute ride from Iberostar Resort. See my other post for fishing information. Looking to going back to Iberostar later this year. You will enjoy the Greg Norman golf course there!

ormskirk
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inshore fishing

Thanks for the reply.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
270 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inshore fishing

Plenty of charter operators in PDM itself so I’d save yourself the taxi fare and stay local.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,571 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Inshore fishing

Yup, no idea why you'd want to go to Cruz when there's a perfectly good fleet of pangas running from PdM. Inshore fishing is probably not prime in spring but there should be a few small roosters left, jacks, sierra needlefish and some snapper. The jacks are probably your best bet for a hard fight, and sierra for a decent meal. I'd take a walk down to the fishing collectivo in Mita and ask for Rudy - he'll fix you up with an inshore skipper and is multilingual, so will explain what you need to bring etc.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
270 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Inshore fishing

Latest report on masterbaiters.com.mx suggests water temps are unusually high and there are still a smattering if Dorado, Sailfish and Striped Marlin showing and also that Punta De Mita / El Morro is the place to be so you definitely want a PDM boat as El Morro is tight on PDM’s doorstep. Some Pompano showing as well which would be nice!

Mentioned in this post
Punta de Mita
Punta de Mita
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Reply to: Inshore fishing
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted