We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping at Iberostar plata mita

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
304 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping at Iberostar plata mita

I know there has been many threads on tipping and many viewpoints.

The package says tips included but we would tip in addition if course.

The main thing I wondered about is how much to tip the concierge.

Also how much to tip room service.

We usually stay at lower end places and do not have these services.

Edited: 02 February 2018, 05:46
10 replies to this topic
Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping at Iberostar plata mita

Sorry bad typo, Playa mita

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,613 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping at Iberostar plata mita

I know that it says tips included but in fact the staff receive pennies on the amount.

We usually tip as follows:

Bellman bringing our luggage to the room 50-100 pesos (depending on how much luggage)

Housekeeping 50 pesos a day and keep the room very easy for her to clean up.

30 pesos for amazing turn down service..last trip we didn't get it the second night so didn't tip the third night, the fourth night we had towel art animals on the bed and bathroom so next night we tipped more...turn down service was great after that.

20-40 pesos for the mini bar but we usually just want extra bottles of water and a few more beer for Mr.QT <every other day LOL not every day.. 20 pesos for extra waters 40 pesos for a few more bottles of beer.

Buffets breakfast and lunch 30-50 pesos depending on service.

Sit down suppers in al cartes 100-200 pesos depending on service.

Room service 40-100 pesos depending on the amount ordered and the time it was delivered.

20 pesos per round at pool, beach or the pool and beach bar.< this is important as well

The service at Iberostar is amazing :)

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping at Iberostar plata mita

Now after having spent a week at iberostar with the amazing service, which by the way definately deserves tipping extra., I am amazed at the number of times we observe people leaving the ala cartes and the buffets without leaving any tip. The great service these people give deserves reward.

It also seems that very few people tip the servers bringing drinks by the pool , beach , and in the theatre.

i know you spend a lot to come to a place like this and if you can afford the trip then a little extra should work into your budget.

Oregon Coast, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping at Iberostar plata mita

The service here definitely deserves tips beyond the "included" ones. I think Quincytoo is a very generous tipper based on his post above, but the staff deserve whatever they get. Unfortunately, I believe he is not the typical tipper. We observed more tipping at this resort than we usually see at all inclusives in Mexico, but the standard still seems to be very few persons tipping anything at all. When you sit in the buffet, or at a bar, or get a drink at the pool, you can observe that most guests simply do not tip.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,804 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping at Iberostar plata mita

Agree with Dugfir..Quincytoo,staff must love you...just Watch and see how many do not tip at all, so sad..

Just tip a little and see the smiles..

Do not wait and tip as you leave..as person who cleaned your room, waited on you all the time, may have day off.

Do NOT tip in Loonies, Toonies,,as worthless in Mexico.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Oregon Coast, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping at Iberostar plata mita

Yes, I forgot to mention but JoLeen did: Tip when you get the service. It's the only way you can be sure you will reward the individual who serves you. There is just too much shift turnover, etc. Take along a bunch of $1 US or 20 peso bills and use them for tips. It is minimal, at least by standards in many other countries, but it will be appreciated. You will be surprised how much better service you get.

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,613 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping at Iberostar plata mita

My husband was in the service industry for years when we were raising our family. We lived day to day on his tips so yes we do tip high.

And yes, we always get incredible service.

Sadly, I have noticed the amount of no tippers

Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping at Iberostar plata mita

Is it preferred to tip in pesos or dollars? We've been to the DR several times and they all prefer USD, so not sure what Mexico is like. Quincytoo, are those amount for every meal/every drink or maybe spread throughout the day? Just trying to get an idea of how much cash to bring, really.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
10,351 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping at Iberostar plata mita

Pesos are best for the local workers to use for things like bus fare and for other everyday expenses. Thanks for asking; there is no reason to bring USD for tips.

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,613 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping at Iberostar plata mita

For every meal, drink or service. I

Have heard of people tipping largely the very last day but my fear would be , what if the server, housekeeper, turndown, bartender that served us so well during the week was off the day we left? They would not be getting tipped by us for their amazing service . We always use pesos.

Reply to: Tipping at Iberostar plata mita
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted