We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Punta Mita

Washington D.C.
1 post
2 reviews
Safety in Punta Mita

Hi - I'm planning a trip to Punta Mita (St. Regis) in March. If you have recently been there, I'd be interested in hearing whether it is a safe place to travel to -- and in particular, whether the drive to and from the PVR airport is safe.

Thanks!

United States
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
58 reviews
1. Re: Safety in Punta Mita

Absolutely safe, nothing to worry about. The US travel warnings are so off the mark when it comes to PV and the Riviera Nayarit area. We live here 4 months and have never encountered any problems.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
2,654 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Safety in Punta Mita

You live in Washington...........you will be safer in Mexico

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
13,376 posts
77 reviews
3. Re: Safety in Punta Mita

Absolutely safe. We often drive that drive at night and around the area.

Campbell River...
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Safety in Punta Mita

We have stayed in the Punta Mita area a couple of times and have not had any problems. Of course common sense dictates that you don't walk by yourself on the beach or in questionable areas at night like much like most North American cities. The drive from the airport is safe and I would recommend that you pre-book a taxi. Just google taxi, puerto vallarta and the information is there. The only danger is getting caught by a timeshare person as you exit the airport because then you will lose at least 1/2 a day of your holiday. Keep walking and don't even talk or look at them as you exit the airport.

Honolulu, HI
Level Contributor
87 posts
5. Re: Safety in Punta Mita

how much will it cost for a taxi drive from PVR airport to Punta Mita ?? if im not mistaken, is it a 45min drive?

Campbell River...
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: Safety in Punta Mita

We book online first. puertovallartatours.net/airport-transfers.htm

The fare is $98 for 1-3 people and $111 for 4-7 people. It's at least 45 mins. depending on time of day and traffic. You might get a better rate if you go outside of the airport area and ask one of the taxi's there but you have to haul your luggage outside and accross a large parking lot.

Have a great holiday.

Honolulu, HI
Level Contributor
87 posts
7. Re: Safety in Punta Mita

Thanks.. i think i will arrange a airport pickup from our hotel, the hotel are charging about the same as the rate you mentioned.

Campbell River...
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: Safety in Punta Mita

Just be sure that the hotel rate doesn't include a timeshare presentation. Many hotels offer free or cheap fares but you have to attend a presentation. I would advise you to check first. 6 hours in a timeshare presentation isn't worth it. Ron

Honolulu, HI
Level Contributor
87 posts
9. Re: Safety in Punta Mita

oh hellllz no lol the e-mail stated "Round trip airport pickup $250" no timeshare presentation or any useless activity.

but thanks for pointing it out.

Campbell River...
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
10. Re: Safety in Punta Mita

$250!! How many people in your party? This is high!

Get answers to your questions about Punta de Mita
Recent Conversations