We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where else to spend a couple of nights?

Winter Park, Florida
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where else to spend a couple of nights?

Hi. We are planning on spending 5-7 nights at a house rental in akumal in June. Two families with teenage boys. We have not been to riviera maya before and would like to spend a couple of nights in another town. Which would you recommend? Isla mujeres, tulum, valladolid, other? We are adventurous and will mostly be looking to keep the boys happy.

Thanks!

11 replies to this topic
Southern California
Level Contributor
13,761 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Where else to spend a couple of nights?

Well, normally in June the whale sharks are in season until September so if that is of interest, best done from Isla Mujeres.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,696 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where else to spend a couple of nights?

Some ideas:

Valladolid: Close to the Coba Ruins/cenotes/locals & culture (go for the weekend)

Tulum: Beach - body surfing - lots of beaches, many cenotes, just boutique hotels/ few condos/ little A/C

Isla: Golf carts around the islands, great beaches, whale sharks (1+ hour heavy boat ride)

Add in Puerto Morelos, Cozumel

Seattle
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where else to spend a couple of nights?

With Kids in June most Tulum resorts do not have pools and those that do are small, the ocean can also be rough at times, with the June heat and humidity I would avoid Tulum with Teens. Air conditioning is also hard to comeby in Tulum. For the same reasons I would stay near the ocean. Isla is a great choice it is a big enough change with more action than Akumal and less than PDC, very safe for Teens to wander. Also amazing beaches and ocean swimming. On Isla look at Ixchel Beach hotel (Condo Hotel look on VRBO) they have great 2br, sleep 6 penthouses that have their own private roof deck with hot tub right on PLaya Norte. It is also only 1 block from many of the great restaurants and shopping. It is also a great ferry ride that the kids will enjoy

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,620 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where else to spend a couple of nights?

Akumal is very quiet and relaxing. We used to spend two nights in Playa Del Carmen at the start of our trips before the rest in Akumal. PDC is touristy, blatantly touristy but with a nice beach and an easy starting point for people new to Mexico. We would grocery shop for Akumal on the way out of town.

Ashland, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
68 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where else to spend a couple of nights?

I'd recommend Valladolid, a great colonial town just a couple hours inland. Close to Chichen Itza, Ek Balam, Coba, and numerous cenotes. The city itself is well worth exploring and will show you a very different side of the Yucatan compared to the Riviera Maya.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,191 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where else to spend a couple of nights?

Do you already have your airline plans?

If not, when we visited Akumal a couple of years ago we flew into Cozumel on American rather than flying into Cancun (done that before for other places). It was a small and easy airport to access. We spent a couple of nights on Cozumel then took the ferry to PDC and had a van service pick us up there for the trip to Akumal. It was very easy. If anyone is a diver or snorkeler then Cozumel has some good sites. We rented a car and drove all over the island to less busy beaches, restaurants, etc.

Winter Park, Florida
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where else to spend a couple of nights?

DNaMobile, no we do not have flight yet. I will look into flights to Cozumel as I do my research. Thanks!

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
51 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where else to spend a couple of nights?

I thought Cozumal would be great with kids. It is very chill there, a real island feel. Akumal is my favorite, but it is really quiet for teenagers. In Playa you have to be a little more careful with kids, IMO. We were just there with our 17 and 12 years old boys. I felt like I needed to watch my 12 year old like a hawk.

I haven't stayed in the other places mentioned.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
12,382 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where else to spend a couple of nights?

I have heard great things about Holbox.

Seattle
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where else to spend a couple of nights?

Coz is a great diving destination, not so much a beach destination with so many other mainland and options or Isla Mujeres, with so many cruise ships it can be very crowded at times. I would not say it is an Island feel. It is good for a couple days. Isla Mujeres is more like PDC was 25 years ago, very laid back very safe for kids, it is a small island where you rent golf carts to get around, the kids really dig that. Playa Norte is the best swimming beach in the Yucatan.

If you like the vibe at Akumal then you will feel right at home on Isla Mujeres.

Here are a couple videos I shot if Isla

https://vimeo.com/200590805/4055cfeb59

https://vimeo.com/200768984/cde7540d74

This video is about getting to Isla and the Privilege Aluxes resort.

https://vimeo.com/200409771/d2450ac96b

Reply to: Where else to spend a couple of nights?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted