We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bahia Tulum Resort - virus issues / you may be rebooked

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,855 posts
Save Topic
Bahia Tulum Resort - virus issues / you may be rebooked

Reports are coming in from various facebook sites that there are health issues at this resort (Tulum section only) and new guests are being rebooked to other resorts

Some say Noro Virus

61 replies to this topic
Burlington, Ontario
Level Contributor
3,036 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Bahia Tulum Resort - virus issues / you may be rebooked

It's a fan group. Enough said.

Also, it's off-season.

Vermont
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Bahia Tulum Resort - virus issues / you may be rebooked

The admins of that fan group aren't doing actual customers any favors. I'm not really sure what the season has to do with it, unless you mean that their belief that it may just be overbooking is even less credible.

Burlington, Ontario
Level Contributor
3,036 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Bahia Tulum Resort - virus issues / you may be rebooked

Yes, you can't overbook during off-season unless you close major sections of the resort for renovations, etc.

Not a good alternative reason for people being moved.

Level Contributor
76 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Bahia Tulum Resort - virus issues / you may be rebooked

In the U.K. if you book through a tour operator they have a duty of care to ensure their customers health and well being are paramount. If a hotel, cruise liner etc report a certain amount of sickness then they have to act. I’m not 100% sure what the quota is but from memory 21 was a number I had read. This has to be acted upon if exceeded. It’s even possible the sickness was brought in on a flight and spread as sickness does. Hopefully everyone effected has made a speedy recovery and whatever it was has disappeared allowing everyone to enjoy their well earned holiday.

Kelowna
2 posts
Save Reply
45. Re: Bahia Tulum Resort - virus issues / you may be rebooked

Westjet called me because i inquired last week regarding this as we are set to arrive Nov 3, 2017.

They said it is basically a widespread stomach flu and that the resort is working on cleaning.Gastroenteritis.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,182 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Bahia Tulum Resort - virus issues / you may be rebooked

That "fan" page on fb for the Bahia Lovers is awful.. they censor alot and wont allow any comments THEY consider negative.. you cant believe them.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
148 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Bahia Tulum Resort - virus issues / you may be rebooked

We just left Iberostar Maya this morning, it was packed which is very odd for this week. While speaking with guests there were many who booked at Bahia Tulum who were relocated to the Maya. We heard it was around 100 guests, not sure how correct that is.

Wales
Level Contributor
391 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Bahia Tulum Resort - virus issues / you may be rebooked

I had read that somewhere too and on the same thread apparently Coba only had 6 reported so Thomson/first choice (uk tour operators who go to Akumal/Coba and Sian Khan) weren’t doing anything about it. I had messaged and messaged them about it and every time they say they don’t have an update. How can that be?! They know about to so why why can’t they update worries passengers!?

And yes the Bahia MR Lovers Facebook page is good if you don’t want to complain about so,etching but I agree they are not doing any favours by not letting there posts about sickness,it’s important for guests. They’re sure 2 other Facebook groups GBP Coba and GBzp Coba and Tulum which are better for anything that is not “ perfect” about the resort.

Edited: 20 October 2017, 15:21
uk
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
49. Re: Bahia Tulum Resort - virus issues / you may be rebooked

Has anyone returned from BP Tulum had any results as to what is causing this illness? I've seen novovirus mentioned but surely that would have spread to the other hotels with all the movement between them. That doesn't seem to be the case. We are going to Sian Ka'an in three weeks time and as we are in our seventies don't really want to take any extra risks with our health.

Burlington, Ontario
Level Contributor
3,036 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Bahia Tulum Resort - virus issues / you may be rebooked

Wow, nice upgrade. The Iberostar is way better than the Tulum section of the Bahia.

Reply to: Bahia Tulum Resort - virus issues / you may be rebooked
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted