We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guwahati airport to Shillong at night & itinerary help

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
136 posts
8 reviews
Guwahati airport to Shillong at night & itinerary help

Hi

I plan on landing at GAU at 7pm next Thurs 18th Oct. Will it be possible/safe to get a share car or private taxi from the airport at this time to Shillong? What will the cost be, I'm travelling as a single female.

Also does it seem possible to do the following itinerary:

18th: night in Shillong

19th: Visit Laitlum Canyon, then travel to Cherrapunjee and visit Nohkalikai falls. Night in Cherrapunjee (If I can find affordable accomodation)

20th: Travel to Tyrna and hike down to Nongriat. Night in Nongriat

21st: Hike back up and return to Cherrapunjee to collect main bag. Return flight from Guwahati is 8.15pm. Undertake sightseeing/shopping before returning to the airport.

From reading posts it seems advisable to overnight in Nongriat to really enjoy the scenery and not have to directly turn around. Would it be better to overnight in Nongriat on the 19th, & return to Cherrapunjee or Shillong on 20th, to avoid so much travel on the 21st?

I understand travel time GAU-Shillong is 3hrs, Shillong to Cherrapunjee is 2hrs?

3 replies to this topic
Guwahati, India
Destination Expert
for Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, Guwahati, Shillong, Tawang, Imphal, Aizawl, Kohima, Kaziranga National Park
Level Contributor
6,742 posts
508 reviews
1. Re: Guwahati airport to Shillong at night & itinerary help

Private cab is approx Rs.3500/day

I wouldn't recommend a shared taxi from the airport in the evening for a single foreigner.

Laitlum Canyon and Cherrapunjee are in opposite directions.

Shillong - Laitlum (2 hrs) - Cherrapunjee (4 hrs)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
136 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Guwahati airport to Shillong at night & itinerary help

Hi

I only want one way transport from the airport to shillong, but I just want to ensure it will be possible at 7pm at night? I don't want to book accommodation in Shillong and find I won't be able to get there.

Thanks

Guwahati, India
Destination Expert
for Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, Guwahati, Shillong, Tawang, Imphal, Aizawl, Kohima, Kaziranga National Park
Level Contributor
6,742 posts
508 reviews
3. Re: Guwahati airport to Shillong at night & itinerary help

Yes, you will find Shilong taxis at Guwahati airport till 8pm

Reply to: Guwahati airport to Shillong at night & itinerary help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted