We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coldness/special equipment for end-October/beginning-Novmber

6 posts
Save Topic
Coldness/special equipment for end-October/beginning-Novmber

Hello,

I finally decided to visit Svalbard between 30 October - 02 November and I am super-excited about it! (I've already lost 3 kg because of the excitement! :D )

I have a few questions concerning the coldness there at that time.

If I understood well from various sites I have consulted, the coldness is not extreme in that period (I should maybe expect temperatures between -5 ... -10 degrees minimum). Plus, looking on the Accuweather history for Longyearbyen, I noticed that in the beginning of November 2014, there were even 7 degrees during some days).

If the above is true, could you please suggest what would be most suitable to wear in that period?

Also, another question is related to the phones and cameras: besides spare batteries, would I need other special equipment in order to not have problems with them? I read on other topics that people suggest using insulated zip-lock bags for example. Do you have any other suggestions? (I'm not a professional photographer, so I intend to use my "normal" digital camera and maybe even my phone for photos).

I'd really like to thank you in advance for your replies! And if you have any other suggestions (even not covered by my questions here), they would be much appreciated!

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,649 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coldness/special equipment for end-October/beginning-Novmber

Use clothing like you do in the winter, since the first snow can arrive in October, and the wind chill can be quite freezing.

So, good thermo underwear, wind and water proof jacket and trousers, a good hat, scarfs and mitten... Mitten gloves!! With wooly finger gloves underneath.

And a extra set of all underwear, gloves, hat, socks and a good jumper in your backpack!

Always a spare battery for your camera, and keep it warm, in your front trouser pocket.

For the mobile phone, if you have reception up there, charge it before you walk out and keep it warm.

Edited: 20 July 2015, 02:27
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Coldness/special equipment for end-October/beginning-Novmber

Hello,

I just wanted to thank you for your message! Also, sorry for my tardiness in replying!

I started to collect all suggested items and hopefully everything'll be all right :D

A+,

Sergiu

3. Re: Coldness/special equipment for end-October/beginning-Novmber

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2016, 12:17
Get answers to your questions about Longyearbyen