We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Longyearbyen Trip

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
8 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Longyearbyen Trip

I am planning to visit Longyearbyen while it is one of the closest cities to the North Pole. I dream to visit North Pole and like Cold Places becuase here in Arabia had 52 degree yesterday afternoon.. loool.

Anyway, if i want to go to Longyearbyen, do i need to arrange with any tourist office ? or i can get the ticket and book my hotel there and move ?

I found a ticket to Longyearbyen with stop in Oslo, is that possible to make it while i have already Schengen visa or i should do other requirments ?

Thanks,

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,381 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Longyearbyen Trip

Special rules apply for Svalbard, but you need to contact your nearest embassy or consulate to Norway for specific advise.

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,574 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Longyearbyen Trip

sysselmannen.no/en/…

Svalbard is a unique place. Read up a bit. You can not go out of city on your own and there are no roads except in the city.

What time of year do you plan?

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
8 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Longyearbyen Trip

Thanks klimaflyktning for your reply, why do i have to contact the embassy ? nearest embassy is in Oslo.

what are that special rules ?

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
8 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Longyearbyen Trip

Thanks OsloViking for your answer,

it is fine i can stay in the city then arrange with one tourist office to take me tour outside the city for couple of hours.

i read that best time for visiting Svalbard is in April.

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,574 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Longyearbyen Trip

You need Schengen visa for Norway, although no visa is needed for Svalbard. There are also other special rules.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
8 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Longyearbyen Trip

yeah, i already have Schengen visa.

so can i fly to Svalbard if i have the ticket and hotel booking ? or there are other requirments ?

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,559 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Longyearbyen Trip

OP, you need to check this important information yourself to satisfy yourself that you have the correct visas.

Anyone on a public forum could give you the wrong information. If you were to act upon it and were then refused entry it's no good saying " well I was told on TA it would be ok".

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,381 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Longyearbyen Trip

Exactly as smudge99 says, you need to verify that you have the correct visas.

Late April is a popular time to visit - snowmobiling under the midnight sun.

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,574 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Longyearbyen Trip

See link to "Sysselmannen", that is the government office responsible for everything on Svalbard.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
8 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Longyearbyen Trip

Thank you guys,

yeah i read that April is the best time to visit Svalbard.

I have the correct visa.

I checked the link you have sent, it is telling that i dont need visa for Svalbard.. but need Schengen Visa while i am stopping by Norway in the way to Svalbard.

Anyway, Thanks for the information you provided me. i will be thankful if you share me more links about it.

Regards,