We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Polar bears and lights in feb

Egham, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Polar bears and lights in feb

Hi, im thinking of either a trip to Longyearbyen or Tromso towards the end of feb.... I woud like to see the northern lights but was also wondering is it worth going to Longyearbyen instead of Tromso to see Polar Bears? I cant see any tours to look for them so wondered if there was any point?

Thanks

Helen

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,830 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Polar bears and lights in feb

The sun is below the horizon until mid-February in Longyearbyen, so daylight is still limited

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
28,012 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Polar bears and lights in feb

There are no polar bear tours. The only way to observe them is to go on an expedition cruise in summer.

Egham, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Polar bears and lights in feb

So you would say better to go just to Tromso if I want to see the lights then?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
28,012 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Polar bears and lights in feb

You can actually go anywhere you like beyond the arctic circle. Mainland daylight conditions will be better than Longyearbyen. Longyearbyen is a very small settlement - there is not a lot going on there. And it can go extremely cold. Add windchill and you are stuck inside.

Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Polar bears and lights in feb

10hr snowmobile trips (you drive) run daily to the East coast right now. These often see bears at a far distance.

Rennes, France
Level Contributor
3,989 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Polar bears and lights in feb

OK but this would be a random "opportunity", not a "polar bear tour" as asked by the OP, as I understand it is actually forbidden to actively look for them on land. They are wild animals that should be left alone, and when you are on land I would think you would try to avoid them rather than look for them. ;-)

Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Polar bears and lights in feb

yup. Also not guaranteed as per someone I spoke with today who went yesterday...

Rennes, France
Level Contributor
3,989 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Polar bears and lights in feb

Polar bears are never guaranteed. Northern Lights are never guaranteed. Good weather is never guaranteed. ;)

9. Re: Polar bears and lights in feb

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2017, 13:17