We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aurora Lights

Chandigarh, India
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Aurora Lights

Hi there! :)

What are the chances of catching the mindblowing Aurora Borealis at Svalbard around Mid March in 2016?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
29,170 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aurora Lights

In general chances are better further south - the aurora oval are more often over Tromsø than further north. And nights are shorter at Svalbard due to the long twilight hours at this latitude.

Edited: 08 December 2015, 21:35
Chandigarh, India
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aurora Lights

Hi! Thanks so much for that feedback. :)

Would you happen to know something about seeing the Lights at Alta (Norway), Abisko (Sweden), or Kirkenes (Norway)?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
29,170 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aurora Lights

Anywhere beyond the arctic circle will do. You need a clear sky - that is the challenge.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Aurora Lights

hey friend! I am Kandy from Hong Kong. We are going to Svalbard in Mid-March 2016 too.May I ask does anyone know if its a good period to see aurora? I am a bit worry...Thanks

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,557 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aurora Lights

Hi Kandy,

and welcome to the forum.

If you look up the Tromsø forum you will find everything you may want of information about the Northern lights:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g190475-i2314-Tr…

Edited: 21 December 2015, 05:50
Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
9,151 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aurora Lights

If you have already booked to go to Longyearbyen it's a bit late to be worrying. Tromso would have been a better place to base yourself. There's a much better infrastructure to go looking for the clear skies, a lot of tours and more to see if the weather is bad. Tromso sits under the Aurora oval but Longyearbyen is much nearer the edge.

I guess you have also taken into account the very low temperatures in March, averages about -10 and add to that wind chill. Do make sure you have plenty of cold weather gear.

I do hope you did plenty of research before you booked. Enjoy

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,685 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aurora Lights

I think it's to late for see NL at Svalbard in mid-March...

On the main land in Northern Norway, we end the Aurora season in mid-April due the daylight. One month later from mid-May we have midnight sun 24/7 in 2 months...

Since Svalbard has midnight sun in 4 months, then the daylight period stars one month earlier than the main land. Ergo: in mid-March!

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
14,769 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aurora Lights

Sunrise sunset times for Longyearbyen - www.timeanddate.com/sun/norway/longyearbyen…

Doesn't get darker than Astronomical twilight, in mid March about 4 hrs of Astro twilight when it should be dark enough to see a strong aurora. About the same as early April in Tromsø.

Rennes, France
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aurora Lights

The days increase a lot faster in Longyearbyen than in Tromso so your estimate Guide Gunnar is not totally accurate. There is still some night in Longyearbyen mid-March : www.timeanddate.com/sun/norway/longyearbyen… (more than in Tromso mid-April), but decreasing fast and end March the nights are getting really short. And as stated above the aurora oval is usually stronger over Tromso.

So I guess it can happen but I hope it is not the main purpose of the trip.

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway, Western Norway, Trondheim, Alesund
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aurora Lights

Last night with dark sky (astronomical twilight) in Longyearbyen next spring is Saturday 5. March. Fourteen days later - 19. March - it will only reach civil twilight (no darkness), so I guess it is a bit late go hunting Aurora in Longyearbyen mid March.

Get answers to your questions about Longyearbyen