We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

spectator ?

wiltshire
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
spectator ?

can i take my two paying childrn to alton towersand alo pay to get in but not go on the rides ?.

if not haveyou any suggestions on where to spend the day after dropping them off. will i have to pay to go in car park and straight out again etc

10 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
52 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: spectator ?

There is no reduced rate at Alton Towers for those who are not going on the rides so you will need to buy an adult rate ticket if you decide to join them.

You can drop off and pick up for free. The drop off/pick up point is on the right hand side as you drive in the main entrance, look out for it straight away so you don't miss it and end up in the car parks.

In terms of suggestions for other things to do it depends on what you are intrested in. If you like walking there are some excellent walks within driving distance.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
3,950 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: spectator ?

You don't say how old your children are. I went to celebrate my sixtieth birthday with children and grandchildren and I hate any ride that tosses my stomach around. I had an enjoyable day as there are some nice walks around there etc. You can just pay to go in but it makes it expensive unless you can get a cheap ticket. The web site will no doubt tell you the minimum admission age unaccompanied.

wiltshire
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: spectator ?

many thanks. children are 16 and very trusted so intend to drop them off. walking is good but we live in countryside anyway. looking for smallish town to explore museum/antique shops to browse. spot of lunch too. many thanks

wiltshire
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: spectator ?

thanks. will look out for it. we went once before and i dont enjoy rides so intend to explore a nearby town hopefully

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
4,851 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: spectator ?

There's the retail outlet and garden centre at Trentham gardens which are free to get in, although there is a charge for the actual gardens/monkey forest if you fancy visiting them.

A bit nearer to Alton Towers is Blackbrook Zoo

www.blackbrookzoo.com/page11.html#Opening

I've not been to Blackbrook for a few years, but my last visit was enjoyable

Like you, I wish I could have reduced price admission for those not wanting to go rides. I enjoy seeing son and husband going on the rides, but feel too ill on those sorts of rides myself.

Edited: 06 July 2014, 09:44
6. Re: spectator ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 July 2017, 21:05

7. Re: spectator ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 July 2017, 21:05

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
8,128 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: spectator ?

Not sure what 'sit in the spectator' means, but of course they are not going to force you to go on any rides after you pay to get in. Seems a bit of a waste of money though.

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,816 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: spectator ?

You can be a spectator but as said in the above post you'll pay the same rate as everyone else gaining entrance whether or not you choose to use the rides.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
217 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: spectator ?

Ashbourne is only a few miles away and a nice small town with many antique shops, independent shops and eating places. Quite near to Alton is a very nice farm shop and café at Denstone Hall Farm Shop and Café if you just want a nice lunch. I used to drop my girls off many years ago just inside the main gate of Alton Towers and they walked through a gap on a footpath but of course things have probably changed. I also agree that Trentham Gardens is worth visiting.

Reply to: spectator ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted