We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from Sandusky to Toronto

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,060 posts
266 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling from Sandusky to Toronto

We will be staying in the Sandusky area for a few nights in July before moving on to Toronto. Is there any sort of ferry service in your area to take us across the lake or do we need to drive either toward Niagara or Detroit to cross the border? It would have to be a ferry that can carry cars since this is a driving vacation.

Also, we are planning on spending two days at Cedar Point and a couple of more days exploring your area. Are we allowing enough time? We want to explore your island area and go to the Mansfield Reformatory. (Yes, I know its a bit of a drive, but our son wants to see it.)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,523 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling from Sandusky to Toronto

Hey Deb. You can definatly take a ferry boat from Sandusky to Ontario. It makes a stop at the Canadian Pelle Island though. And I think it only comes to and leaves fro mSandusky a few days a week, not every day. Do a google search for Pelee Island Ferry. And it does carry cars. I haven't been to Pelee Island since I was a child, but I think it would be worth exploring the island for a while before taking another ferry over to the mainland. I wouldn't bank on the ferry trip being faster than driving though. If you decide to drive, I'd cross over at Niagara. And on your way home, you'd likely cross at Windsor-Detroit.

2 Days at Cedar Point is perfect, and another few days to explore the area waterparks, wineries, islands and Mansfield. I've never been to the reformatory, but it's on my to-do list! I've heard it hosts a great haunted house in the fall.

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,060 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling from Sandusky to Toronto

Thanks for the info. It sounds like I'm on the right track.

Ohio
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling from Sandusky to Toronto

My wife and I drove to Toronto for a weekend get-away a few years ago and took the very route mentioned. We live about 20 miles SW of Sandusky.

We went up through Niagara, staying 1 night there and then on to Toronto for a couple nights. We drove back through Detroit then.

The most noteable thing I can remember about the drive back from Toronto was how much more boring that drive was than the way up. It seemed like we were out in the middle of nowhere land for hours getting over to Detroit.

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,060 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling from Sandusky to Toronto

Thanks, buzzdalf. I believe we have decided to go from Sandusky through Detroit (no stopover there) to Toronto to Niagara, the opposite of the way you went. That route will put us in Toronto for our 25th wedding anniversary. We thought we could go out and celebrate there.

Also, we have decided to skip the ferry because of the schedule and the price.

Anyway, thanks all for your good information.

ohio
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling from Sandusky to Toronto

you wrote

We want to explore your island area and go to the Mansfield Reformatory. (Yes, I know its a bit of a drive, but our son wants to see it.

Its not a real bad drive [about 45 min from Sandusky] also Check out Kellys Island and Put in Bay.. A short ferry ride to these islands.

Catch the ferry for Kellys Island in Marblehead, while in Marblehead, go see the Lighthouse,the shops and the resturants all in walking distance of the ferry.

Google "Kellys Island" for things to do there.

Catch the "Jet Express" for a fast ride to Put in Bay [Jet Express leaves from Port Clinton Oh [no cars on this ferry] If you want to take a car, that ferry leaves from Catawaba Point "Google - Put in Bay"

ohio
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling from Sandusky to Toronto

http://www.mrps.org/

Im sure you have this already but just in case...this is the web site for the Mansfield Reformatory

Heart of it all
Level Contributor
577 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling from Sandusky to Toronto

I second the vote for the Detroit to Niagara route. It's VERY boring. More to see going through PA and NY.

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,060 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling from Sandusky to Toronto

Thanks again for all the good info. We've decided to spend a total of six nights in your area to make sure we have enough time to see everything we want. Of course, the first night we will not arrive until late evening, so that will be kind of a bust. Its about a twelve hour drive from our area.

Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling from Sandusky to Toronto

You really need 2 days at Cedar Point- Especially if you love the rides! THere is so much to do in the area! The Travel center is on route 250- right next to the mall and they will hook you up with phamphlets and coupons as well!! Kellys Island is great,,, Put in Bay,,, Jet Sking... Fishing..... Lake Erie Perch is great to eat! I have lived here all my life and Summer is the Best!

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,060 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling from Sandusky to Toronto

Thanks for the advice, nickandlivvysmom. We have actually booked six nights in the area. Instead of buying a two day pass to the park, I think we are going to buy season passes so we can go in and out all we want during our time there.

We still intend to go to at least one of the islands, see the reformatory in Mansfield, see the Amish community in Canton and go to the wild animal safari park. As it always works, we never have enough time to see every thing in an area. But, that gives us an excuse to make a return trip. Cedar Point is the main focus of this trip, so we will be sure to ride all we want and work everything else in around it. We will be there only on weekdays except for the last night, so I'm hoping the ride lines might be slightly shorter than on the weekends.

Because of scheduling conflicts with the lodging we chose in Toronto, we have now reversed our route, moving on from Sandusky to Niagara, then Toronto.