We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baker City or Sumpter?

Tacoma, Washington
Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
Save Topic
Baker City or Sumpter?

Hi all, I am asking for some advice. I will be in the area of Baker City on June 28; I cannot decide if I want to stay in Baker City or Sumpter. Since the Sumpter Railroad will not be running during that day, I'm not sure that Sumpter will be worth the extra drive, other than seeing the Dredge.

If you had to choose, which town would you select? Thank!

Mentioned in this post
5 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baker City or Sumpter?

Baker City and Sumpter are pretty different places. Baker City is in the lowlands right near I-84 and has a really charming small downtown with a few restaurants, activities and full services. Sumpter is a unique place- its is up in the mountains with a couple buildings on main street and the remaining victorian neighorhood houses scattered throughout the old townsite(there was a large fire in Sumpter in the early 1900s and it never recovered-some of the old buildings that survived the fire are around). The Sumpter cemetery is really interesting as well. There may be one restaurant in town. The dredge is pretty interesting and well worth the stop if you are around. I'm not sure which one is better-they are just different. Sumpter is remote while Baker will have all the general tourist amenities for the night. Hope this helps.

Edited: 07 June 2018, 11:29
Mentioned in this post
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baker City or Sumpter?

You could probably see everything there is to see in Sumpter in about 2 hours

Baker City
Level Contributor
217 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Baker City or Sumpter?

Definitely stay in Baker City. More to see including the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center.

Sumpter's population is about 200. I don't think they even have a hotel. If you want to see the dredge the picturesque drive from Baker City is about 30 minutes.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Banks, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,732 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baker City or Sumpter?

I agree with the others to spend night in Baker City. A really nice day trip is to drive from Baker City up to Anthony Lakes area. There is a nice trail around the lake if you don't do the longer hikes. Then drive beyond Anthony Lakes on #73 (Elkhorn Drive) to #24 and on to Granite (interesting stop)and then on to Sumpter for lunch and dredge before returning to Baker City. It's a beautiful drive. I love that area and the hiking is fantastic, but if you just drive, it's still great :)

Mentioned in this post
Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baker City or Sumpter?

Make sure and take the time to go to Sumpter and surrounding area.

We spent a week there last August for the eclipse and fell in love with the area.

Granted it will take you about a half of day to explore worth the time for the dredge alone.

We also drove to Granite and spent time at the little museum there and the old graveyard,

so much history.

The people are so friendly and the area is gorgeous...

We have old neighbor that just moved there and I can see why.

Enjoy the area .

Oregon Trail well worth the time and visit.

https://www.blm.gov/learn/interpretive-cente…

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Reply to: Baker City or Sumpter?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Baker City