We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for day between Crater lake & Ashland?

Chicago
11 posts
Save Topic
Ideas for day between Crater lake & Ashland?

We will be traveling from Crater Lake to Ashland, but don't feel need to arrive in Ashland on Mon. nite, since there are no plays scheduled. Do you have any suggestions for a stop between these 2 destinations that would either be a worthwhile activity or be a less expensive hotel option for Mon. night ?

8 replies to this topic
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,546 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for day between Crater lake & Ashland?

Ashland is a delightful destination even on a Monday night. Great small village ambiance with interesting shops, wonderful restaurants and a nice park with easy hiking trails.

Historic Jacksonville is also worth a visit, even on days between Britt Festival performances. And, although there's no snow this time of year, a drive up to Mt. Ashland might be enjoyable.

These aren't literally "between" Crater Lake and Ashland. I'm just not aware of anything special Medford or Phoenix have to offer. Talent does have a pretty high rated restaurant.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for day between Crater lake & Ashland?

The scenery is nice and there are several worthwhile stops along hwy 62 between Crater Lake and Grants Pass. And once in Grants Pass, you could take a jetboat ride on the Rogue. Lodging should be less expensive there than in Ashland too.

Another thought would be to take hwy 138 to Roseburg and go wine tasting. It won't be Willamette Valley pinot noir, but several wineries in the area are producing some pretty nice wine. Abacela is one that comes to mind.

Edited to say that you might even consider a trip for a peek at the redwoods in northern CA.

Edited: 16 August 2012, 01:25
Chicago
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for day between Crater lake & Ashland?

My eventual destination i Ashland by Tues. How far out of the way are your suggestions to Roseburg or Grants Pass or the Redwoods? I was going to see the Redwoods on our way back to Portland, and I thought it would be too much of a loop to do it Mon, back to Ashland Tues and then back up the coast Wed. or Thurs.

Thanks again

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,546 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas for day between Crater lake & Ashland?

By what route are you getting to Crater Lake? That might influence what we suggest after CL. If you were already planning to go from Ashland to Grants Pass and via 199 to the Redwoods, before heading up the coast, I would not recommend doing it BETWEEN CL and Ashland.

If you were coming down I-5 to the 138 North Umpqua Scenic Hwy to CL via Diamond Lake, there would be no reason to backtrack to Roseburg. However, if you are coming at CL from Bend, Klamath Falls (#97) orfrom the Shasta in the south via I-5, you might want to consider leaving CL via the 138 to Rosebur and then head south toward Ashland. A lot depends on your overall planned itinerary.

Your original question just dealt with between CL and Ashland. That's a much more limiting guideline.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas for day between Crater lake & Ashland?

I didn't see that you'd posted an itinerary, but you're right, it doesn't make sense to see the redwoods on Monday/Tuesday if you're planning that for later. Grant's Pass or the Roseburg area still work though. Roseburg would be more of a detour, but still it's only a couple hours from Crater Lake to there, and a couple more from there to Ashland.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas for day between Crater lake & Ashland?

Jacksonville is a good idea; there is also a teeny tiny ghost near Ruch. There are a number of wineries through the Applegate Valley. You could drive up old 66 (no, not *the* Route 66) which was a stagecoach road across the mountains and has not changed much since then!

Another idea would be to go south on I-5 from Ashland to Yreka, about 45 minutes:

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g33301-Activitie…

Or, just hang out in Ashland - go to Lithia Park and relax. Be sure to taste Lithia Water :-)

Edited: 16 August 2012, 06:50
Chicago
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ideas for day between Crater lake & Ashland?

TheAAA suggested going I5 to 58 to go to CL from Portland. From CL they directed me to take 62 to Ashland and then back to Grants Pass to Redwood Hwy and up the coast back to Portland. Looking at the map I thought it would be better to stay ono I% loonger until Roseburg, but others have said there is construction on 138. Does anyone know if the construction wouldf not be a problem on Sun.?

Thanks again for all your input.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,546 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ideas for day between Crater lake & Ashland?

www.tripcheck.com/Pages/RCMap.asp…

Based on the notices on Tripcheck.com and the personal reported experiences this past week, I have to conclude that going via 138 from Roseburg to CL is not a good option. Tripcheck suggests adding at least an hour to the journey...but shows two major construction points where delays can be from "20 minutes to 2 hours!"

Even though you might run into problems on 58, it appears to be the better choice.

Reply to: Ideas for day between Crater lake & Ashland?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bandon