We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving in Bandon

La Crescenta...
Level Contributor
45 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Thanksgiving in Bandon

I'm planning a family trip to northern CA and south OR up to Bandon and the dunes during the Thanksgiving week. We are a family of four with grown up teenagers, who love food and nature (and not so much crowds). After reading the forums, we've decided to stay at Bandon and drive around for adventures.

Does anyone knows whether I need to make hotel reservations in advance, is this a busy week? (I'm thinking of staying at the Bandon Beach Motel.) I'd prefer to avoid reservations as I want to have maximum flexibility in case we'd like to stay longer around the redwoods area.

Can anyone recommend good crabbing and clamming spots around Bandon and also outfitters? (We'd have to rent the equipment.)

We'll enjoy the parks south of Coos Bay and maybe we'll take a ride on dune buggies. But after reading a number of reviews, I'm worried about renting agencies scamming people for preexisting damages, etc.; this doesn't seem to occur rarely. Any thoughts?

And finally, does anyone have any ideas where to go for Thanksgiving dinner in case we'd prefer not to be by ourselves?

Thank you in advance!

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,613 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanksgiving in Bandon

http://www.sanddunesfrontier.com/index.php

http://www.dunebuggyadventure.com/

Not sure what dunes you're considering. Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area stretches from about Winchester Bay/Reedsport through Florence...all well north of Bandon. The links above are for a couple of the operations serving the dunes. Be sure to check their winter operating hours.

My advice is to be sure to go with a guide, either on one of the big group buggies or on one of the smaller ones. You won't be scammed at these places, but you could get seriously hurt tryiing to go it alone on the dunes. You could even get seriously lost. You should also be ready for rain, wind and fog. Some of the dunes are 300-500 ft high with precipitous drop-offs. You need to know where you are going.

As for crabbing, you can do it right off the wharf in Bandon's Old Town. You'll find everything you need right there.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,199 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanksgiving in Bandon

We've spent a couple of Thanksgivings on the southern coast (we live on the central coast) and it's a bit sparse, to be honest. In Bandon, Lord Bennett's may be serving Thanksgiving dinner. Coos Bay/North Bend will have a few more dining options as it's much larger. The Mill used to be good, but no longer :-(

You're from La Crescenta ... isn't that near La Can`ada/Flintridge? Do you know what the weather is like up here at that time of year?

I just returned from a week in southern Calif and had no days under about 84º. Here, you will have an average of about 45º-50º for daytime highs. Plus , as mentioned above, it will be raining and may be windy and stormy.

It's a different world up here in the winter!

La Crescenta...
Level Contributor
45 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanksgiving in Bandon

Thanks for the tips, guys! I was hoping more people will chime in, but that would do. We have a good program and the fun time is up to us.

Yes, half-Brit, I'm from that La Crescenta, and I work in la Canada. Actually, the weather is part of the reason why I want to go up the coast... Here we have two seasons - summer and hot summer - and I miss the chill, the mist, the snow (I know it sounds crazy). Actually, three years ago it snowed in La Crescenta, the first time in half a century. ;)

4. Re: Thanksgiving in Bandon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2013, 18:19
Get answers to your questions about Bandon