We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattlites seek 411 re moving to Bandon area

Seattle
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Seattlites seek 411 re moving to Bandon area

Hello! We're a late 40's couple from Seattle, visiting Bandon this weekend (Sat thru Tues) to explore the potential for relocating thereabouts. Briefly, my guy spent his youth vacationing on Oregon South Coast, so he has fond recall. I'm from SF, deeply miss the ocean and dislike the stress of Seattle. We both especially can't tolerate Seattle's ridiculous summer heat & humidity.

We've been tracking the weather down your way for months now, and just couldn't resonate more with the climate of the Oregon south coast!

We'd be SO grateful for literally any feedback/resources/local insight and beyond.

Hopefully replies will be helpful and not discouraging, although honesty is obviously going to serve us best.

General info is welcome, but ideally, this weekend we'd love to see a few residential rentals to get a clue what to expect with regards to relocating. Anyone who can chime in on that please speak up...where could we find listings outside the vacation rentals?

Aside from that, suggestions on sights, dining etc are certainly desired!

Regards,

eyzovblu

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Bandon Inn
Bandon Inn
1,648 Reviews
Bandon, OR
Oregon
Oregon
United States
6 replies to this topic
Seattle
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Seattlites seek 411 re moving to Bandon area

Addendum: to clarify, I meant to say that we arrive next weekend for our recon excursion, thanks!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,205 posts
1,101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seattlites seek 411 re moving to Bandon area

Hi and welcome to TripAdvisor. As you might guess from the name, this is a travel website and as such, relocation threads are not encouraged per the guidelines:

"•Forum questions about real estate purchases, long-term rentals or solicitations for either are irrelevant. Discussions providing short-term relocation advice is acceptable provided it remains relevant to travelers to that destination. Orientation to neighborhoods, travel logistics, visa requirements, or even a post-arrival "thanks, everyone" update are welcome, whereas asking for help finding roommates, buying/selling furniture or ongoing personal updates are not considered travel-related."

--

You can access information about lodging, dining and attractions from the main Bandon page:

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g51758-Bandon_Oregon…

>>where could we find listings outside the vacation rentals?<<

Check also www.vrbo.com and also just do a simple google search for Bandon vacation rentals. Here is the local online newspaper... well, sort of... http://theworldlink.com/bandon/

We've been in Bandon countless times and I can give you a hint about the weather -- winter rainy, summer windy ;-)

As far as sights, the beach of course plus you're a couple hours from the redwoods, an hour or less from the dunes and there are about a half dozen state parks within about an hour.

Mentioned in this post
Bandon Inn
Bandon Inn
1,648 Reviews
Bandon, OR
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
20,056 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seattlites seek 411 re moving to Bandon area

Seattle summer heat and high humidity? well thats a first

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seattlites seek 411 re moving to Bandon area

First things first.... You really should have a dinner at Alloro. It's been a few years since we were last there, but I remember it as one of the best restaurants on the coast. For something more quintessentially Oregon coastal, Tony's Crab Shack.

As for sights, the beach on the southern end of town is one of the most dramatic on the coast. We've also enjoyed driving 7 Devil's Road, exploring the state park(s) and beaches that can be accessed from it. I've been on beaches in that stretch where it felt as if I were the only person on the planet. Continue north to Cape Arago, Shore Acres, and Sunset Bay.

Now that we've established this as a legitimate "travel-related" thread...... It's not surprising you can't find listings outside of vacation rentals. Bandon isn't that big. Which means you should have time to investigate possibilities while you're there.

Portland area forecast for this weekend is sunshine and 70°. It won't be that in Bandon, but hopefully the weather gods will be smiling on you there too. Because they almost definitely won't be during the winter months. Or much of spring and fall.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Tony's Crab Shack
Tony's Crab Shack
772 Reviews
Bandon, OR
Bandon Inn
Bandon Inn
1,648 Reviews
Bandon, OR
Seattle
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Seattlites seek 411 re moving to Bandon area

half-brit,

apologies for my silly oversight and thank you so much for the resources you mentioned in spite of my blunder!

Seattle
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Seattlites seek 411 re moving to Bandon area

hey there...

i can honestly testify to that fact that here in seattle, during the entire summer of 2012 as well as 2013, the weather was replete with full on HOT long, HUMID summer days.

the nights never cooled off, the days were insanely bright, with temps more than not in the mid 80's, and so moist you'd have thought you were in the tropics! it was difficult to breathe or stay hydrated, and it was just pointless trying to enjoy the heat if you aren't whip-cord thin, young, and in excellent health.

for an SF native, that spells OUCH.

global warming is taking its toll.......

Reply to: Seattlites seek 411 re moving to Bandon area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bandon