We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cottage Grove to Silver Falls

Hilo, Hawaii
Level Contributor
97 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Cottage Grove to Silver Falls

What would be the all-day scenic route from Cottage Grove to Silver Falls State Park? Thanks!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cottage Grove to Silver Falls

First thought; take a bicycle! ;-) Otherwise, you have the options of going west to the coast, or east towards Bend, both of which, I think, would be better places to overnight than Silver Falls. So, why are you looking for an all-day route for a drive that would usually take less than two hours?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,220 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cottage Grove to Silver Falls

I seem to recall that you're camping at Silver Falls, yes?

Here is a route you might be interested in:

From Cottage Grove, go west toward Lorane, I think the road is called simply Cottage Grove-Lorane Road. Once there, take the Territorial Highway north and stay on it to Monroe. It passes the Fern Ridge Reservoir which you might like to visit. At Monroe, you'll keep going north on Hwy 99W. When you get to Corvallis, take Hwy 34/20 west, toward Philomath and the coast, and continue along about 5-10 miles until you see a sign for Hwy 223 to Kings Valley. It only goes to the north. Stay on that, passing a couple of picturesque little towns and some interesting old buildings. You'll come out at Dallas, follow signs to Hwy 22 east to Salem. From there go east on Hwy 22 and follow signs to Silver Falls. Scenery on this route is mostly farming, ranching, rolling hills.

Or.... you could jump on I-5 north to Eugene, then head east past Springfield on the McKenzie Hwy 126, bear north and stay on 126. Then go a couple of miles east on Hwy 20, then pick up Hwy 22 heading back to Salem, which will take you to Sublimity and Silver Falls. Scenery here is mountains plus the McKenzie River.

Of just buy a paper map and strike out on an adventure ;-) The flat valley roads are all good, paved, well marked although the signs are small, safe (watch for farm machinery trundling along) and all interconnect with other roads. So if you see a faint grey line on a map that is going the direction you want to go, take it, it'll be fine.

Hilo, Hawaii
Level Contributor
97 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cottage Grove to Silver Falls

I like all of those, half-Brit, especially the third. Thanks!

4. Re: Cottage Grove to Silver Falls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2011, 15:16
Get answers to your questions about Cottage Grove