We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where's the best place to stay along Oregon Coast?

Seattle, Washington
6 posts
Save Topic
Where's the best place to stay along Oregon Coast?

My girlfriend and I are taking a West Coast road trip. The first leg of the trip is from Seattle to Seaside, OR. We are looking for a good town to stay in that is roughly halfway between Seaside and San Francisco. Have checked out Gold Beach, which seems like a pretty decent halfway point with nice scenery. Any other recommendations?

Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,669 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where's the best place to stay along Oregon Coast?

Bandon is the best town on the Southern half of the Oregon Coast.

Level Contributor
36,173 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where's the best place to stay along Oregon Coast?

Tu Tu Tun Lodge is one of the nicest places to stay on the Oregon Coast. We loved our 2 night stay there in a riverview/king room. There are outdoor hot tubs right on your deck, a beautiful swimming pool wtih riverviews, an amazing appetizer/wine reception in the afternoon and you have dinner right at the lodge. There are complimentary kayaks for guests to enjoy and Jerry' Jet Boats will pick you up right at the boat dock there. :)

Central Point...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where's the best place to stay along Oregon Coast?

Turtle Rock Resort in Gold Beach

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,497 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where's the best place to stay along Oregon Coast?

I would also go with Bandon, but it would be helpful to know what time of year you'll be making this trip and how many hours per day you're comfortable driving. TuTuTun is very expensive and upscale and I'm not sure it's worth the money for a quick overnight stop. It's a long drive from either Gold Beach or Bandon to SF, made even longer by winter's short daylight hours and poor weather....or summer's heavier and slower tourist traffic and road construction. Plus, your schedule doesn't allow much time for experiencing anything along the way.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,068 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where's the best place to stay along Oregon Coast?

Gold Beach does have nice scenery . . . but then many of the Oregon coastal towns do :-)

I agree that Bandon is probably the "nicest" on the southern coast - it has a lovely beach, great views and some good restaurants. It's more walkable than Gold Beach and the 'old town' (which dates only from the 1930's after the fire) is nice to stroll around. There is a very good museum there too:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g517…

Tu Tu Tun lodge is not only $$$, but it is inland about 8 miles with no ocean views or 'beachy' atmosphere.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
1 post
210 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where's the best place to stay along Oregon Coast?

Bandon, Oregon is a good spot. We didn't see much by Gold Coast. We stayed in Crescent City near the beach as well, close to Battery Point Lighthouse. I have stayed in Depoe Bay, Newport, and Lincoln City in the past. All are good stops.

The Redwood Trail in Jedediah State Park near Crescent City was really cool. It is a 6.9 mile Howland Hill Road was super cool. I just happened to research before we did the Coast. We went from Ilwaco, WA to Crescent City, CA. It was a great trip. That little road topped it off. It was March so not busy. We actually drove over the 6.9 miles, and turned around and came back the same way so we could get back on US101 easily. Any place on the Oregon Coast is a great place! Depoe Bay has an oceanfront drive of US101 right on the little main street. It is a great stop to eat and buy taffy. There is a whale watching center right there on the street. Don't forget to stop at HECETA Head lighthouse. It is AMAZING.

Reply to: Where's the best place to stay along Oregon Coast?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gold Beach