We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jerry's Rogue Jets - Morning or Afternoon?

Folsom, California
10 posts
Save Topic
Jerry's Rogue Jets - Morning or Afternoon?

We are heading to the Southern Oregon coast with our kids, ranging from ages 12 to 3, next week. It sounds from people's reviews that the jet boats on the Rogue River are a top attraction. It'll be a splurge for us to take all 7 of us, so we're thinking we'll just do the 64-mi trip. There are two departure times for that trip--8:30 am and 2:30 pm. Anyone have any insights into the pros and cons for the morning or afternoon trip? We'll be driving up there from Brookings, so if all else is equal I'd probably choose the afternoon so we don't have to worry about getting up too early to make it there for the morning trip. But we can if there's good reason to do that. Thanks for any advice!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jerry's Rogue Jets - Morning or Afternoon?

The weather could be... it has the potential to be foggy in the morning along the coast, but once you'd get inland a few miles its likely to disappear. It can get very hot inland(90s), but being from California, you're likely not to mind...

Also it might be more likely to see animals in the morning when it is cooler outside.

I'd say go for the afternoon trip if it fits better with your schedule.

Level Contributor
36,202 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jerry's Rogue Jets - Morning or Afternoon?

We did the morning trip and really enjoyed it. We stopped for lunch during our trip which was really fun. :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jerry's Rogue Jets - Morning or Afternoon?

I think you're smart doing the shorter trip, and with kids the ages of yours, I'd choose an afternoon departure, when you shouldn't have to be concerned about staying warm. You wouldn't want to get wet the first couple hours of a morning trip; you won't mind it so much in the afternoon sun.

Jerry's Rogue Jets has been a popular attraction for decades, but I wouldn't let that be *the* factor in your decision, especially if it's a splurge. I'll probably get slammed for this, but I kind of liken the trip to the Jungle Cruise in Disneyland. Only a lot longer! Of course, the natural beauty and wildlife (if you see any) on the Rogue are all real, but otherwise, there are similarities. We took our daughter along with us when she was about the age of your oldest. It was kind of novel and fun for the first hour or so, but became predictable and less exciting/entertaining later on. By the end of the trip, she was more than ready for it to be over.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,118 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jerry's Rogue Jets - Morning or Afternoon?

You wouldn't have that problem on the Hellgate Jetboats. I have never seen anyone bored. They get up on pontoons and then spin out. Beautiful and so fun.

But they are in Grants Pass, up on 5.

MrsO

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,504 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jerry's Rogue Jets - Morning or Afternoon?

A 3 year old will lose patience on anything longer than his or her attention span. The morning trip gets back after lunch and the afternoon trip gets back after supper. It will definitely be cooler in the morning, but the sprays and splashes from the spins will cool you off in the afternoon. On our morning trip a few Augusts ago we saw quite a few bears, river otters, eagles and ospreys. Since you'll be coming up the coast, comparisons to Grants Pass are not relevant.

If your other kids are having fun, chances are the 3 year old will too. Have all your kids keep their eyes out for animals and eagles. It will keep them involved even during the duller moments. If you have a good guide it'll help a lot.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,069 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jerry's Rogue Jets - Morning or Afternoon?

Another option might be the jet boats in Klamath, Calif. They offer shorter trips (2 hours I believe) and may be less expensive:

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Yet another thought is to take a quiet bay cruise on the Madaket in Eureka. It's the oldest vessel in continuous service in the USA. These trips are also fairly short:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32363-d22…

Folsom, California
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Jerry's Rogue Jets - Morning or Afternoon?

Thanks everyone for the input and suggestions for alternatives. All good points, and I appreciate the help.

I called Jerry's late this afternoon, and the woman I spoke with pointed out that we are welcome to bring our own picnic lunch/dinner instead. With the money we will save on food by bringing our own versus buying at the restaurants at the midway stop, I decided to do the 80-mile trip instead. It actually takes the same amount of time as the 64-mile trip, but apparently goes faster and then gets you up river further into some whitewater rapids. Hoping the faster pace will keep things fun and interesting for all the kids (and I think the rapids will be fun for mom and dad too!) They have a noon departure trip that we're going to do, so I don't think we'll be too cold on either end--morning or evening--since we'll be done around 5:30. It also means we don't have to bring a big meal, since it's not really lunch or dinner time when we stop midway.

This is definitely a splurge for us, but most of the rest of our trip will be very low cost, since the Redwood, beaches, Crater Laker, etc. are all nearly free, so I'm justifying it to myself. Looking forward to a great trip! :)

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,118 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jerry's Rogue Jets - Morning or Afternoon?

There is really a lot to do for free here. As long as you are flexible. Tide pooling, walking, hiking.

Enjoy yourselves. We took many a low cost trip with our big family and we always had fun!

9. Re: Jerry's Rogue Jets - Morning or Afternoon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2016, 08:17
Get answers to your questions about Gold Beach