We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gold beach travel

Litchfield...
1 post
Save Topic
Gold beach travel

We had a great vacation traveling through southern Oregon...we stopped at most of the small towns we drove through and our 2 young children (5 and 7) enjoyed every minute of it. Unfortunately I missed the drop in speed from 55 to 40 at the beginning of the bridge entering Gold Beach. When I realized it was dropping to 30 at the other end I began to decelerate but the damage was done. I was pulled over and cited for going 47 in a 30. The officer was very friendly and smiled the whole time. Of course, he had trapped another tourist! We proceeded to travel back to California where our trip had started with a bad taste in our mouths. Perhaps a warning sign when approaching the town would be helpful....especially since it is a 2 lane highway that everyone is traveling on. I can say I would advice anyone to travel to Gold Beach based on my experience there.

-Travelers from Connecticut

PS- I have not received a speeding citation in over 20 years nor been pulled over.

3 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
36,339 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gold beach travel

Thanks! And welcome to the travel forums; you will receive valuable information here to help you with your travel planning. :).

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gold beach travel

Hello Steve S and welcome to TripAdvisor.

As you may have noticed, Highway 101 goes through nearly all the Oregon coastal towns. Most of those towns have a posted speed limit of 25 or 30 MPH.

Most of the larger historic bridges along the Oregon coast have speed limits of 30 or 35 MPH.

-

>> Perhaps a warning sign when approaching the town would be helpful<<

Oregon uses a "step down" system of speed limits. The open highway is 55 MPH. When you begin to approach a town the speed is posted at usually 40 or 45 MPH, then as you enter the town, it is posted with the town's speed limits of 25 or 30 MPH.

IMO, this is a fair and honest way to alert drivers that their speed should be reduced. It is up to the driver to pay attention to the signs - they are always there in black and white! The speed limit is clearly posted - it is not a "trap".

>>Unfortunately I missed the drop in speed from 55 to 40 at the beginning of the bridge<<

Sorry you got a ticket but going 47 in a town posted at *30* - with pedestrians around - is really far too fast!

Edited: 24 September 2014, 05:36
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,540 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gold beach travel

I agree with half-Brit, especially in light of the very many fatalities we've had this year along 101...including pedestrians, motorcycles, bicycles and, of course, cars. The main causes are speed, unsafe passing and alcohol. Quite a few years ago I got similarly caught in Leggett, CA. And unlike your smiling cop, my highway patrolman was all business. A year or two later, along the same stretch of road, I looked for the sign he said I passed (but I didn't see)...and, lo and behold, there it was. mea culpa

So, what's good for the goose (or in my case, a Duck) is good for the gander.

Reply to: Gold beach travel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gold Beach