We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gold Beach in December

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic
Gold Beach in December

Is it worth it to go there in December? I was intrigued by the Tu Tu Tun Lodge and based my trip around that flying into Medford and driving through Grants Pass to get there December 11th and 12th is it going to be dangerous. Does the town close up at this time of year is it worth it

4 replies to this topic
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,508 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gold Beach in December

This is just a continuation of your previous posting. As I pointed out there, the TuTuTun dining is very limited in winter. Check its website -- http://tututun.com/dining/ -- no five course dinners. Gold Beach is a sleepy town in the best of times. The major attraction is the jetboat up the Rogue River, which doesn't operate in the winter. I can see basing your trip there in the summer and combining it with the redwoods just to the south (reached by 199 from Grants Pass), but I can't see any upside to spending time there in the winter.

The road there isn't dangerous if you're careful. I've driven 199 in December in the rain and found the twisty area around Jedidiah Smith State Park to be a bit sketchy, with rain caused waterfalls streaming down the cliff walls onto the highway. And it's not a road to drive at night or in fog. Don't forget, also, that it gets dark around 4 p.m. in the winter, making for very short days.

I know you want a different, better answer, but you're not likely to get one. The best of the Oregon Coast is south and north of Gold Beach.

There's so much to experience and see in Oregon, even in winter, but your proposed itinerary doesn't qualify. Fly into Portland instead, where you can check the weather and decide to go to the coast or see the Columbia Gorge....or go through the Gorge to places like Pendleton, Joseph and Baker City. Or fly into Bend/Redmond and head east to John Day and Baker City. It'll be cold, but drier and very scenic.

Or come back in summer and splurge at TuTuTun and take a jetboat up into the Rogue Wilderness.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gold Beach in December

Thank you for this I dd not see this before it really is helpful and I will take your advice for sure!!! Is the Columbia River at each safe in winter? What about seeing covered bridges is that area good in winter?

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,508 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gold Beach in December

Like a lot of Oregon, the Columbia Gorge has its good days and its bad days in winter. It can be cold, but sunny...or an icy wind tunnel blasting at Portland. You'll find most of the covered bridges in the areas around Lane County.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,119 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gold Beach in December

The main freeway (84) into the CRGNSA has a roadblock if the driving is too dangerous. But even before the road closes it can be iffy. Or it can be really beautiful. Multnomah Falls in winter is my favorite.

Kind regards

MrsO

Reply to: Gold Beach in December
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gold Beach